1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GREAT WASTES OF TIME.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jolly_Roger1, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

To open the bidding, Academic Monitoring days. These were disorganised chaos. Within a 'generous' ten minute slot, the form teacher was expected to:

1. Fetch the student and parent(s) from the hall and return with them to the tutor room.
    2. Explain the questions on a form covering two sides of A4 and record their answers to them.
    3. Agree three academic targets and three personal targets with them and record them on the form, while the student does likewise in their link-book.
    4. Return to the Hall to pick up the next student and parent(s).

It didn't seem to dawn on management that with form groups of 30 - 35 that tutors would be running hopelessly behind schedule by the end of a couple of hours, or that the chances of having a parent with nothing better to do on a weekday were pretty small. Much further time was consumed by back and forth translations for accompanying grandparents who didn't speak English.

midnight_angel likes this.
  2. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I have an idea, why not write individual reports, say once per term/subject and leave it at that. Remedial actions/parent meetings dealt with by the SMT. Teachers then teach:D

3. cherryaimless

cherryaimless New commenter

I'll take your Academic Monitoring Days and raise you Two Days of Welsh Bacc Administration.

1. Two days were taken out of the timetable for Year 13s completing the process and their WB tutors to fill in the forms needed to prove that the work students had undertaken had a) been completed and b) been verified.

2. Students regularly hadn't completed the work, so tutors sent them away to complete the work, then come back to have the work verified and to fill in the appropriate forms.

3. Two days very quickly turned into 3.

4. Very few students actually passed.

4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Meetings. How much of my life has been wasted in other people's meetings? Often they are called entirely for the benefit of one person alone because it's more convenient for them to talk to everyone individually round a table than see them separately. Meanwhile for everyone else 90% of the meeting is dead time and the other 10% concerns no-one else.

Latterly in teaching the word meeting could better be replaced with "lecture" as any interjections were very much not appreciated and you had to have very thick skin if you wanted to present an alternative viewpoint. Even assuming that "we haven't run out of time".

5. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Paperwork of which most is entirely unnecessary.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  6. Mangleworzle

we haven't "run out of time" - punctuation matters.

7. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Ofsted inspections.

midnight_angel and Dragonlady30 like this.
  8. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Triple marking
    Ironing socks

9. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Housework

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  10. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

11. Jolly_Roger1

Following on from what @Mangleworzle said, I don't remember attending a meeting, in the proper sense of the word, in a school for the last ten or fifteen years ; only 'voice recitals' and 'a cappella solos' from management, and so-called experts.

12. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Meetings. Way too many of them where I am, often a meeting of over an hour for something that could have been said in an email of 2 lines.

Learning walks. We all get to do them. In largeish groups. 3 or 4 teachers troop into a classroom, stand watching for 10-15 mins then troop out again. Hate it, whichever side I'm on. Heavy handed and over the top.

midnight_angel likes this.
  13. Jolly_Roger1

Meetings called, not to impart anything of interest or relevance to the audience, but to enhance the status and authority of the speaker, and to justify the large salary drawn for doing a job neither they, not anyone else, understands.

@sparkleghirl: Learning walks! Tell me about it! At my last school, a member of SMT, accompanied by three or four acolytes, would burst into the class to see how well, or otherwise, you coped with the disruption they caused.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  14. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

15. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I think I missed out on triple marking!! It was explained to me but I couldn't understand that there was any benefit to anyone, except, perhaps, HTs who like to use up all of teachers time.

16. Mangleworzle

:D That is almost a word for word recital of a rantette I used to regularly have.

17. midnight_angel

midnight_angel Senior commenter

I like meetings; they usually allow me to catch up on some much needed snooze time ;)

18. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Ah, but we do our meetings, some of them at least, in small groups. We call them working groups. 8 people round a table and it's difficult to sleep without being noticed. Plus we're all supposed to attend with laptops at the ready, shared document open. So even if you can sleep with your eyes open and without snoring, your little icon/avatar will give you away when it goes to sleep.

19. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

We used to have meetings for the sole purpose of giving out information. No questions were allowed.
    What was most annoying was the the speakers read out the information from the document that the Principal's PA emailed out during the meeting with a read receipt attached. We'd have all been happier reading the document.

20. Jolly_Roger1

I used to sit in some of these 'meetings' and think that, other being able to identify connectives, definite and indefinite articles as being English, they might as well have been in a foreign language, 'understanding-wise'.

@RedQuilt:
    Even worse is when the reader then pauses every sentence to 'un-pack' its meaning.