1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Great teacher, no job...

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by rw1978, Apr 24, 2018.

1. rw1978

rw1978 New commenter

Let me start by saying that my husband is a brilliant educator. I know this as I met him at work and it was one of the first (of many qualities) I found attractive. As the Athletic Director of a large and well-recognised international school he inspired students to get involved in the wide-ranging sports programme by instilling a love and passion for sports. He created diverse opportunities to compete and celebrated participation and success. As a teacher, students enjoyed and made good progress in his lessons. In order to move back to the UK he took a step down to become Head of Football and PE teacher at an independent day and boarding school in London. The hustle-bustle of the south-east plus finding out we were expecting our first child led us to relocating to a village between York and Leeds. Since then my husband has pro-actively contacted schools, applied for vacancies (including those he is over qualified for) but without success. We're lucky to be in a position where he has been able to take some time with our son and has kept his hand in by doing some supply. However, the knock backs of applying for permanent vacancies are taking their toll and his morale is getting low. We're fully-aware of the funding issues in schools and many in our area are making experienced teachers redundant in order to save money. So, I am after advice, ideas, suggestions how a great teacher and middle manager can get back into the UK sector? We are starting to look overseas again but are enjoying our life in rural Yorkshire. Is it a lost cause?

2. raquelmedina3

raquelmedina3 New commenter

Hi, we are in a similar position here. Only advice is to start with either supply or classroom teacher until a good opportunity comes out. But I'm afraid things are pretty hard going in rural areas. Or otherwise go for independent schools.

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'm from the area you are now living in. The problem is that there are just not many schools there.

4. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

In areas where there are either few schools or schools which are perceived to be very good schools, people tend to hang onto their jobs and there isn’t a lot of movement or opportunity for new people. As another poster has suggested, independent schools often have quite a team of sports teachers and coaches so there may be opportunities there - or I imagine there would be good opportunities abroad. I don’t think it’s possible to fix upon a small, rural geographical area and just wait for something to come along nearby; I think you may need to be prepared to relocate to where the right job is.