1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Great picture books for upper ks2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tpt51, Nov 15, 2011.

1. tpt51

tpt51 New commenter

I am looking to compile a selection of picture books that are appropriate for upper ks2. Can anyone make any recommendations? Looking for some beautiful illustrations and rich language.

Thanks

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

3. angrypuppy

angrypuppy New commenter

just read the wolves in the walls by Neil Gaiman - my kids (Y5/6) loved it.

4. The Invention of Hugo Cabret - fantastic book! Suitable for Y5/6.

5. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

We did Rose Blanche last year, which I enjoyed.

6. Anthony Browne - The Tunnel, Voices in thePark, Into the Forest and another one about the family turning into pigs - can't remember what it's called. Not a lot of text but a huge amount of deduction. Went on a course and these were highly recommended. Have used them with year 6 and lower ks2 with great success.

7. Shaun Tan, Chris Van Allburg, Colin Thompson, Carol Ann Duffy

8. Hi,
    If you post your email address, I'll send you a list of the ones we have been using.
    Cheers,
    Anne

9. Oh oh I love using picture books with this age! I second the vote for Tuesday. Its by David Weisner and he's done quite a few books with fairly complex stories so great for older ones. Google him and have a look, the art is spectacular as well.