1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Great idea for teaching packaging

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by pecks, Feb 15, 2011.

1. pecks

pecks New commenter

I thought I would share this with you as I was shocked at being shown how to improve a lesson on food packaging.

I did my normal lesson when a key stage 3 student said I have just scanned this package and its wrong.
    To my surprise I found she had barcode scanner on her phone which she showed orther students.
    I decided as she had an Iphone I would try it with my blackberry and yes there is an apps.
    So yes I made it part of my next lesson with a new class and they loved it, the discussion on bar codes was amazing. Try it

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

in what way was it wrong? x

3. unfortunatley the rule in our school is if a phone is seen / heard then it is confiscated until the end of the half term - may not go down too well if I run a lesson then take all of their phones ;-)

4. Not sure where your school would stand with this if challenged - think they should be returned at end of day
    We "allowed" students to take photos of their practical work using their phones

5. TES Resource Team

TES Resource Team Occasional commenter Institute Enrolment Advisor

Difficult one this one........my school has banned phones..............we use phones in DT!!!!
    We have our own podcasts, we even teach other schools in the local area how to set up their own podcasts and podcast websites. We have an e portfolio that the students can download from their phones. They use the camera on the phone to record ideas and models. Its about context really. Schools stop the use of phones if they are a disctraction or problem. However if they are highly beneficial and can be shown to be then is there a case for "controlled use". Ofsted absolutely loved our use of technology, e portfolio's and the use of the mobile as a tool. However I can also respect a school's policy and apporach and only when you work in that particular school can you fully appreciate the effects of the mobile. How long before the pupils start taking out the phone in other subjects where it is not needed or had been agreed....as I said difficult! My school has decided to trial this "controlled use", will let you know how we get on.

Cheers

Spencer Herbert