1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Great Fire of London Assembly

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pixie8, Mar 14, 2004.

1. i teach year 5 and it is my assembly in a couple of weeks. We are doing the great fire of London in History so thought I could use this.

I want to do something fun and anjoyable, but nothing to difficult as i don't have the brightest bunch (in fact most have memories of a goldfish)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Ta

2. i teach year 5 and it is my assembly in a couple of weeks. We are doing the great fire of London in History so thought I could use this.

I want to do something fun and anjoyable, but nothing to difficult as i don't have the brightest bunch (in fact most have memories of a goldfish)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Ta

3. I sometimes do an assembly with Year 2 children based on the Great Fire of London. We usually do a mind map of the Great Fire which we display and the children learn parts of it. While some children are talking about the different reasons why the fire started, why it spread, how do we know about it etc, another member of staff points to the relevant parts on the mind map with a laser pen. I can send you the assembly script if you are interested, bearing in mind it is aimed at year 2.

4. If at all possible please can I have a copy of the assembly script. Would like to use as a starting point for a Y2 class assembly. Thank you.

ellispphil@aol.com

5. We did a production including this last year called 'Pepys Show'. It is published by Golden Apple and is great.

To share a few ideas from it which you could maybe add to your script... It had Samuel Pepys writing his diary entries and basically narrating. A few scenes and songs in the Pudding Lane Bakery. We also had some children doing a flame dance - simple sticks with orange and red crepe paper ribbons wafting around.

PP

6. jlo

jlo New commenter

CurlySue - I would love a copy of your assembly please.
    jolower@aol.com

7. hiya curly sue,
    i know you must be incredibly busy but do you think that you could send me a copy of the script for the assembly. would be greatly appreciated.

thank you in advance.

8. Sue could i please have a copy of the great fire of london assembly script, as i am teaching a year2 class this topic. Thanks!

James
    jamesnute@fsmail.net

9. helskie26

helskie26 New commenter

10. We did an assembly on the Great Fire of London with a Y2 class. The best bit was when the children acted out carrying buckets of water in a chain across the hall and then invited two teachers to have a race filling up cups with squirters (small syringes)!! They all made a mess and it was good fun. All the children chose a different part of the topic and presented a short drama sketch on it. To end it all we sang London's burning in rounds and the whole school joined in. Good luck.

11. Could I too please! I did an assembly on it last year but would like to do differently. Thank you

jaclynch@hotmail.com

12. Hi I wonder if you could please send me a copy I am covering this topic and running short on ideas. Sorry for the imposition.
    tony@cookson36.freeserve.co.uk

13. Could you get someone to dress up as Samuel Pepys, the baker, a fireman etc and the others ask them (prepared) questions. Then sing London's burning, Fetch the buckets.

14. Hi

Are you still sending the scripts. If so I would be really grateful if you could send me it too.
    Im teaching year 2 on this topic next week.

Thanks

Jenna.issitt@btinternet.com

15. pixie 8 - have you just done about the great fire of london in history or are there any cross curricular links? I am thinking about doing this next year with y5 but as a topic and wondered what ideas you had used. would you mind sharing?! sorry for being cheeky!