1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Great Expectations

Discussion in 'Personal' started by mammal, Dec 28, 2011.

1. I'm definitely looking forward to episode two tonight. I remember being scared by Magwitch as a child and Ray Winstone lived up to the role last night. The adult Pip is definitely handsome, but I don't recognise him from any other role. This is definitely my favourite Christmas viewing so far.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Nah. He's got funny lips.

3. I watched it on catch-up this afternoon and really enjoyed it. The BBC do Dickens really well..I also enjoyed Little Dorrit a few years ago....enough to go out and find the book afterwards.
    I'd forgotten bits of the opening to Great Expectations so thought the first episode was excellent in packing everything in. It was well-filmed...very atmospheric... too. (Yes, Magwitch scared me too as a child in the black and white film version. His regard for Pip when he had been re-captured in this version was really well done I thought.)

4. His face is immobile. I don'texpect good/emotive acting from him.

But yes - I'm enjoying it and will be watching tonight. :)

edit: Pip, that is

5. Agreed Nutty! [​IMG]
    (I have a thing about male lips. His looked as though they'd been outlined in pencil..a bit beaky too I thought....the upper one. I had nightmares about Englebert Humperdinck's lips....Yuk to fat, rubbery lips...not that Pip's were fat and rubbery.)

6. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

I think the adult Pip was in that dramatisation of Nigel Slater's life last year.

7. Love it so far - but why have the sound of a modern full orchestra when it should have been a chamber orchestra during the dance? *pedantry in progress*

8. laffal0t

laffal0t New commenter

Not managed to watch it but recording it! Looking forward to watching it all at the weekend!

9. My OH says Pip looks gay .I think that is because he looks like my nephew who is. I enjoyed episode 2 and remember the story line so far. I can't remember how it ends though so shall look forward to tomorrow night to find out.

10. Not keen. Straying too far from the original. 17 year old son, studying it for A Level, has, with typical restraint, referred to it as "an abomination"!

11. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

Never read the book or seen any other versions of it. I watched epsiode two tonight and now watching the 1st episode on iplayer, I have really enjoyed it.

12. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I'm not at all familiar with the original story but have suspected that significant alterations have been made in the TV adaption. It all looks a bit slick for Dickens. Nevertheless, the camera work is highly atmospheric, and Gillian Anderson appears to have carved herself a well-earned niche in the 19th century costume drama market.

Those who like Dickens with a twist of satire might try the first episode of 'The Bleak Old Shop of Stuff' on iPlayer. A vaguely Pythonesque take on the subject matter. Made me snigger enough to keep watching it anyway.

13. The atmosphere is amazing, but they have added an awful lot of dialogue that Dickens didn't write, whilst leaving out much of what he did write. Thought the young Pip was brilliant - not too keen on the adult Pip.

14. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Gillian Anderson is mesmeric in the role of Miss Haversham. I'm really enjoying it, having disabled my 'pendantry on the part of someone who has both read repeatedly and taught the novel' function.

15. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

Have been hooked - along with pre-teen daughter. I was really surprised at that as she is not normally one to watch period dramas. Good ole Dickens. I also thought - great, a drama to watch with family. Erm - then there was the scene at the brothel... I don't believe that was Dickens' orginal dialogue.
    Totally agree about Miss Haversham - very interesting characterisation (skin pinching and all) and I will be sad to see her demise.

16. I'm not sure about Gillian Anderson :(
    I do, however, like the older Pip.
    I am also not very sure about the casting of Estella. She is not as "spellbinding" as I thought she would be.
    I have been so looking forward to this, but I am not sure how I am finding it.:s

17. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

Ah, now I hadn't intended to watch it at all (not my usual thing) but found myself drawn in because it was on. Perhaps that was the key - Lesser Expectations to start with. [​IMG]

By the way is it Miss Havisham or Miss Haversham?

18. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Havisham

19. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I don't think it's up to much. It doesn't feel Dickensian to me. Pip is a weak actor obviously chosen for his eyebrows and his lips and his perceived beauty that I find sickly; Estella is insipid and doesn't strike the right note. Pumblechook and Mrs G weren't right, though I thought Joe was good. The tone of it all doesn't ring true to me.

20. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I agree - and considering she's been raised by a raving looney she doesn't look damaged enough. The occasional involuntary twitch or manic gleam in the eye wouldn't go amiss.