1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Great difficulty obtaining a job, LIKE EVERYONE! Lol

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Lara mfl 05, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I know I'm a bit long in the tooth and may not be up to current terminology, but a PGCE is just a post-graduate course normally leading to a teaching qualification ie QTS?

2. jmntsp

jmntsp New commenter

I'm glad you said this Lara, lol. OP are you saying you failed your PGCE but still gained QTS? How could you be awarded QTS if you failed to gain a Post Grad Cert of Education? Surely one gives you the other?

3. Hi, sorry I'll try and explain it as easily as I can, basically how the PGCE works is that it consists of three modules. Firstly is the QTS module. The other two modules are Masters Level credits. The reason the other two are there is that for the PGCE to be as it says 'Postgraduate', it has to have masters credits involved and these only apply to the two masters level modules. If you pass all 3 modules you achieve your full Postgraduate Certificate of Education, whereas like me, if you only pass two of the three (one being the QTS module) you only achieve QTS. So therefore, I was on and completed the PGCE course, however, I only achieved QTS from it and not the full PGCE due to failing one of the masters level modules. Hope this helps

4. You may have a Professional G C E, rather than a Postgraduate G C E, then. Check it out.

5. Thanks Theo, and thank you to everybody else for your responses. Theo is possible to send you my current covering letter at all?

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

As you can imagine, you are not the first person to ask that! And if I said "Yes" to you I would have to say it to everyone else, and then Mrs TG would never get me to mow the lawn, walk the dog, wash the car . . .
    She would not be a happy bunny.
    So I'm afraid that the answer has to be "No". Sorry!
    My colleagues in the TES Careers Advice Service do a check of application letters - spelling, grammar, is it addressing the points of the job, etc. And I do One-to-One sessions in person where I will help you to polish a letter, prepare an interview, etc. Very effective in getting jobs.
    You can contact Julia just to get further details of prices etc. on advice@tsleducation.com
    And, of course, there are the application seminars - the next one is on Sat 24 September. There will be others in October, presented by me, if you can't make that one.
    It does all cost, mind you! So do read the free advice first.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    I am timetabled for the October seminars - see you there!