1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Great choice?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by blazer, Feb 19, 2020.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Taking blazerette major out tomorrow. 11 yrs old (yr 6). Asked her where she would like to go. Expected perhaps the cinema but instead she asked to go to a medical museum or something about WW2 as the former is the next school topic and the letter is the previous school topic. So tomorrow we are off the Worcester where there are two medical museums. There will be pizza though! The WW2 option would have been Coventry Cathedral.

coffeekid likes this.
  2. theeditor

theeditor New commenter

3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

If she is about to do WW2, look at local cemetries. ( not tomorrow- you day out, another time) We looked at some local war graves and found their records online. It was very interesting. We discovered for example 2 deaths in our street as the result of "covert operations", etc We found several odd graves of assorted individuals, and realised that sometimes all bodyparts from one bombed building were just buried together without any disentangling.

Some of it was very sad, but real, and interesting.

4. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

Ah... good to hear she’s enjoying her studies! Have a super time!

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

bombaysapphire and border_walker like this.
  6. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Sounds fascinating. Have a good day. I thought I knew Worcester but I didn't know it had medical museums.

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Just got back in. Museum was brilliant. Spent 2 hours in there with blazerette major. She loved it. She dressed up as a WW1 nurse but there were other costumes including soldier uniforms and patient uniforms. It is actually in the medical school so lots of trainee doctors walking about as well. Not only free admission but the parking was free too. We decided not to go to the second museum (The infirmary) because looking at the map it was quite close to the river and although it was open parking etc may be difficult. However I can recommend the first place. They do school visits as well.

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

9. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

If you're ever in Edinburgh, take a trip to Surgeon's Hall. It's a requisite trip for all first year art students, and rammed full of medical wonders from times past. Pretty sure it's where the skeleton of either Burke or Hare resides. Can never remember which one of them was hanged.

Alice K and blazer like this.
  10. blazer

blazer Star commenter

This museum has shelves of death masks (in fact whole head casts) of criminals hanged in Worcester goal which were studied by phrenologists.

coffeekid likes this.