1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Great British Food Revival

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by nick909, Oct 26, 2011.

1. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Series 2 starts tonight on BBC2.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b016pc6r
    Really enjoyed the first series. Tonight, Michel Roux Jr on pears and Clarissa Dickson Wright on garlic.
    Followed by the Frozen Planet programme, looks like good telly watching tonight!

2. Thanks for the reminder... I too loved the first series.

3. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

But it clashes with Waterloo Road!
    What idiot scheduled that!!!

I really want to see the bit with Michel Roux Jr - looking at British Pears.

4. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Calm down dear. It will be on the iplayer later.

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

On again tonight!
    Rhubarb and peas.

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Fabulous. Loved it! Going to force my rhubarb now for sure [​IMG]

7. Saw some of the pears and garlic episode. very interesting. I would like to try the pear wine. i haven't associated garlic with english cooking at all. Is it on every night? I will have to check out the other programmes. my tv watching is very random as I only watch on my computer. not sure where to find a comprehensive schedule.

8. bfudge69

bfudge69 New commenter

I use this one:
    http://www.tvguide.co.uk/

9. Thank you for the link. What a lot of channels. I had only looked at BBC .

10. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I loved the pear section. The souffle looked wonderful! I was a little sad/angry at the fact that 'imperfect' pears don't get to the supermarket. If they're going to be stew or poached or chopped does it matter if they aren't all a perfect size/shape?
    I thought that Greg's championing of the rhubarb was very 'Greg' - he has a somewhat limited stock of phrases! It was good to actually see him cooking.
    I missed the last half of 'peas' due to a phonecall. grrrrrr!!

11. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

So glad I'm not the only one who thinks that!
    I missed the peas section due to falling asleep! Oh well...there's always iplayer!

12. I was hoping Jim at the National Collection would show my pear - but his cutting isn't fruiting yet and I doubt he could have made the fruit off my tree keep long enough.
    I may be tempted to grow rhubarb now!
    Lovely programme!

13. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Just watched this week's offering, beetroot and currants, both of which I love. Will certainly have a go at the baked beetroot next time I can get some and fire up the barbecue. There was a telling story that came across in the currant section. The farmer said it's very difficult to persuade supermarkets to put them on the shelves."Supermarkets are less keen on stocking small lines with the potential of wastage."
    Now I know I'm back on my hobby horse again, but if the supermarket isn't prepared to stock currants, and for that matter, raw beetroot and the other ingredients in danger of extinction this series is promoting, how does the public acquire them? I know you'll be telling me to have veg boxes delivered and to visit farm shops, and why not, but this means I have to spend all my time shopping, when the whole point of a supermarket is to be the one-stop shopping solution.

14. Modelmaker, I have decided to take action.
    I have decided to take pen and notebook with me when i shop and to leave notes for the supermarket staff.
    I think I will leave a note in the space I did NOT find what I wanted and then a copy of that note at customer services or a suggeston box if I can find one.
    I may also go online and report my loss.....
    In fact I may even go as far as to have the lovely people at Vistaprint to make some purpose made complaints Post Its!
    I obviously feel the need for a new hobby horse myself! [​IMG]

15. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

The beetrot on the show came from the company that does my veg boxes! Riverford.
    And the veg box scheme is not time-consuming...I spend maybe 10 minutes online deciding if I want to swap my usual medium box for something different (currently swapping for 'roots and greens') and adding any extras I want delivered.

The supermarkets do have something to answer for. I often grin when my box arrives...some of the peppers would never pass the shape/size requirements of supermarkets...and the fruit is not evenly sized or perfectly shaped - but is truly delicious! Supermarkets reject perfectly good fruit and veg because it does not conform to their exacting standards...and then they try and shift the blame on the consumers; saying we won't buy uneven pears or twisted peppers! LIARS!!! Give us the choice!