1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Great British Bake-Off

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lapinrose, Sep 11, 2011.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Another series has started and nobody commented on it yet!
    Inspired by Paul Hollywood, I've just bought his book, 100 Great Breads.

2. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I've watched a couple of episodes of this... the bread episode and the biscuit one.
    The bread was interesting - some of the creations gave me some ideas - although the pinwheel one looked awful - so messy and it all fell apart - but loved the idea of the six-fold plait....
    The biscuit one was less inspiring - although I did giggle at the comtestant who tried filling his warm brandy snaps with whipped cream...I even tried shouting at the screen - let them cool first!

3. When is it on - which channel?

4. I'm really enjoying it, was inspired to try making focaccia for the first time after watching the bread episode. Its on Tuesdays at 8 on BBC 2.

5. Can I ask where you got your book from Lapin? It's out of stock on amazon!

6. I watched the bread episode too, but managed to miss the rest. I want to try foccacia too now. I'm going to try using this recipe, it's from her Baking Made Easy book, so I'm hoping it will come out okay! http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/rosemary_and_sea_salt_12392

7. Great programme. Rob is rather easy on the eye too!

8. I used this recipe:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/focaccia_08389
    The dough was very wet, a bit like kneading cake batter!!! But the final product was delicious!

9. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Why do they never listen when you shout at the screen?!

10. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

ebay, a bit more, couple of quid, but free delivery.

11. So tonight it's pies! I wonder what creations they will come up with and if they will avoid the soggy bottom!

12. I LOVE this programme! The absolute highlight of my week!
    Can't believe how utterley amazing and also how dreadful the final products can be. I too love it when they get it wrong- makes me feel so much better about my own humble efforts.

13. Well, Rob did indeed have a soggy bottom....and he wasn't the only one.

(Oops, that sounds a bit rude!)

14. Rob is a pretty boy put there to amuse the (female, of a certain age) viewers.
    I'm suspicious about the number of younger men in general.

15. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

About time Rob went - I couldn't believe he stayed in there so long. Should have gone weeks ago.

16. I'm with you on that one Nick! I think Holly will win.

17. I think this programme only ever barely had one series in it, and here it is again with the dreadful Perkins woman. Just let Mary Berry do a cookery series, it would be much better.

18. karentee

karentee New commenter

I would like Holly to win, she produces some yummy looking food, and so well presented too. So glad that Rob finally went, he should've gone weeks ago but noticed that he features on the cover of the book they have out for the series so he had to be kept in long enough for people to notice him!

19. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Ahh...I do like Sue Perkins, I must say. Very witty, in my opinion.
    Mary was rocking a bit of a cowgirl look this week - looked reet dapper.
    Paul Hollywood is an ****. I'd like to thump him over the head with a baguette.