1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Great Britain's not-so-great national metaphor

Discussion in 'Personal' started by DrLinus, Apr 1, 2020.

1. DrLinus

DrLinus Established commenter

I groan loudly whenever I hear a politician or wannabe dame or knight likening themselves and their minions to those Britons and British subjects who fought in the Second World War.

Only today I heard some medical testing laboratory administrator comparing his employees to "the fighters and fighter pilots of the Battle of Britain".

This sort of thing is not only tedious but also manipulative. If there is one certain way to make me disregard a person's judgement and capabilities it is their fapping away to this gasping, creaking, leaky metaphor.

2. a1976

a1976 Established commenter

Well, you have to admit this virus is something we haven't seen in modern times and a lot of people are putting themselves forward to help others, like our NHS staff. I never dreamed that I would see something that has pretty much stopped this world from functioning as we know it.

3. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I think it can be legitimately applied to doctors and nurses who are dealing with CV sufferers on the front line, they are literally risking their lives to save the rest of us and are the group who are most likely to contract CV at the moment.

I hope they get some kind of "campaign medal" in recognition of their courage, risk and for stepping up when they were needed.

Other groups, police, shop workers who are serving customers face-to-face, similarly but less so. Though I agree the comparison can be overblown.

4. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

It's lazy. Lacks imagination.

5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I've been wearing this image on my lanyard.

upload_2020-4-1_18-40-4.jpeg

It's amazing how they all clap now when I get to the supermarket, tell me to jump the queue and offer to pay for my shopping.

6. DrLinus

DrLinus Established commenter

This just in:

"Sir Paul Nurse, chief executive of the Francis Crick research institute - which will soon be able to conduct 500 Covid-19 tests a day - said a Dunkirk-style effort was needed to co-ordinate smaller laboratories and increase test numbers.

"We are a lot of little boats and the little boats can be effective," he said, referring to the evacuation of Allied troops from the beaches of the French city during World War Two.

He added: "The government has put some big boats, destroyers in place. That's a bit more cumbersome to get working and we wish them all the luck to do that, but we little boats can contribute as well."
    "

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52130230

7. Lidnod

Lidnod Senior commenter

Preferable to keeping our foot on the pedal because we are not out of the woods yet?

DrLinus and HistoryEducator like this.
  8. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Hmm.. Dunkirk was a desperate, last gasp attempt to save the army from an ignominious defeat which might well have forced us to sue for peace. Notwithstanding the incredible bravery of many - military, naval and civilian - it would have all been for nought had the Germans not have backed off (possibly to allow Goering's Luftwaffe claim the victory instead of the army & their tanks).

Is this the type of analogy we need right now, I wonder?

DrLinus and HistoryEducator like this.
  9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Whilst the little ships metaphor is a valid way of evoking everyday people pulling together in a national crisis, we conveniently overlook the fact that Dunkirk was a retreat, and a complete military rout, partly brought about by lack of forward planning in the preceding years. Had the weather over the Channel been just a bit worse the evacuation would have failed and it would have been a very different outcome. We also forget that British troops were being evacuated from France (or abandoned there) for up to a month after Dunkirk, sometimes with disasterous results, as in the case of the SS Lancastria which was our worst ever loss of life on a single vessel. Churchill imposed a news blackout on the story to preserve public morale, so little is known about it.

10. Bill8899

Bill8899 New commenter

11. Bill8899

Bill8899 New commenter

Well the cat’s out of the bag. We can’t make a mountain out of a molehill this time; this IS a mountain. Life is not a fashion show. We all must pay the piper for this tune.
    We must listen to the pearls of wisdom spoken by our leaders, though they sometimes sound as daft as a bag of hammers.
    We now face a fearsome enemy that we cannot see or touch. Let us join together like rats on a ship. Oh wait, that’s a bad simile.
    Well, I think you get my point.

DrLinus likes this.
  12. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

@magic surf bus: If the weather in the English Channel had been better in July 1688, the characters in 'Fawlty Towers' would have been different.

magic surf bus likes this.
  13. Lidnod

Lidnod Senior commenter

I shall watch today’s official briefing with renewed interest...

14. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

The 'Great' in Great Britain was never about the how good Britain is/was, but a reference to the size of Great Britain as compared to Brittany in France.

Morninglover, Lidnod and DrLinus like this.
  15. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

What we need to do is somehow pit the coronavirus against the seas surrounding the British Isles, it'll soon be gone.

16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Personally I think we should settle this on penalties.

17. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

1588, surely?