1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Great books for year 6

Discussion in 'Primary' started by stevenlomax1984, Mar 14, 2020.

Tags:
  1. stevenlomax1984

stevenlomax1984 New commenter

Hi has anyone got suggestions for great books to read in year 6?

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

"I am David" is great. "Holes" is also a good book for Year 6.

3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

tolkien and sunshineneeded like this.
  4. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

5. mreprimary

mreprimary New commenter

sunshineneeded likes this.
  6. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Thank you very much for this - really useful. I'm currently updating our Year 6 class library - I'm familiar with many of the books on the list, but some are new to me. I'm going to order some - who knows, I might have lots of enforced time at home very soon to enjoy reading them myself!

7. tolkien

tolkien New commenter

There are lots of good suggestions on the school reading list website, which has recommended lists for each age group - also, try magazines! - they're a great way to keep year 6s engaged with reading each day.

8. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I probably wouldn't put it in the class library, but our Year 6 loved Robert Swindells 'Stone Cold' read to them as a class novel. Prompted lots of good discussion about how and why people become homeless and how we can help them. It's also a good example of a split narrative. Was planning to move onto 'Abomination' but lockdown beat me to it!

9. lampshade19

lampshade19 Occasional commenter

I can also highly recommend Eleven by Tom Rogers. It is the story of 9/11 told from the point of view of a boy who turns 11 on the day, so easy for kids to empathise with. Nothing gory mentioned but one of the few children’s books I’ve both laughed and cried at.

sunshineneeded likes this.
  10. sandolina

sandolina New commenter

Thanks
    I like to read too