1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GREASE

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by karencj, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Please help!! I wondered if anyone knew where or how I can get the performing rights for Grease for a year 6 production?
    Has anyone done it? Any ideas and help would be very much apreciated. Thank you x

2. Please help!! I wondered if anyone knew where or how I can get the performing rights for Grease for a year 6 production?
    Has anyone done it? Any ideas and help would be very much apreciated. Thank you x

3. I hope that you are a very rich primary school.
    See here.
    And don't even think about doing the show without the rights.

4. Hi!

We did it two years ago (11-18 school) and it was very expensive. We just broke even in the end, and we did 6 shows and charged a fairly decent amount for tickets. I'd definitely echo what resources says about not doing it without the rights.

Obviously, it's up to you whether you choose to do it, but what I would say is that there are some very adult themes in Grease - Rizzo's pregnancy, 'lousy with v!rginity', references to drinking, smoking, 'gang bang'... There were some moments which I felt were quite mature for some of our younger kids, and I just wonder whether I'd be comfortable doing it with a year 6 group.

Hope that doesn't sound rude! Obviously, you know your students and parents and will no doubt make the best choice for them. I would just say that there are loads of great productions out there that are targeting that he group which would be much cheaper to produce and perhaps more age appropriate.

Good luck whatever you choose to do though. :)

5. Thank you for that, very helpful x

6. We've just finished a very sucessful run of 4 shows. I'm lucky, as money hasn't been much of a problem, but it was expensive. We spent thousands out to do the show, including rights, set, costumes and the car. There is a schools version available, which does cut out most of the teenage themes, so would be good for primary. I felt it lost the power of the story though, so we went for the full version with our 11-16s and performed to an audience of year 5 with no problems.
    The rights are through TRW - http://www.theatricalrights.com
    If you are interested in a car, I have a mini which we cut the roof off... Feel free to message me!
    Chris