1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Grease - rights to perform

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by english.teacher, Jan 6, 2011.

1. english.teacher

english.teacher New commenter

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anyone knows if and where one can get the rights for Grease for school productions? My students are asking for it, but I can't find it anywhere. Any other ideas for an all singing all dancing performance? Anyone tried Fame? We have a lot of dancers...
    J

2. When we did Grease last year the rights were held with Samuel French but I have a feeling they've moved. If you search there was a thread about it on here not so long ago.

3. english.teacher

english.teacher New commenter

Thanks Crunchy Nut... I've found and it and filled out an application form. The school wants a large(ish) and all singing and dancing show this year. Any other suggestions?

4. Grease is now held by an American company who want £500 for the rights and are very strict about advertising and cuts. I will look up the name tomorrow and let you know.

5. Hi. We did grease before Christmas.
    The compnay is called Theatrical Rights Worldwide who are based in New York. We ended up paying a few pounds shy of £1000 just for the license and sheet music. You have to pay extra for 'Hopelessly Devoted to you' & 'You're the one that I want' and I think it was £250.
    I'm glad I did it, but I would never go near it again. Did not enjoy doing as as they are very strict indeed. (rights even state what colour stitching the jackets should have! - Seriously!)
    I believe that WWRY has been re-released for schools as the UK tour has now ended (might be wrong) This is by far the most fun musical i have worked on... and CHEAP! £120 for the whole lot! and free reins over how you would like to stage / light / choreograph it. Might be worth looking into over Grease???
    Plank

6. Wow! We did it when it was still with Sam French last year and it was nowhere near that prescriptive. We had to buy Grease Is The Word, Hopelssly Devoted and You're The One That I Want separately which was a faff though. It's an expensive show and not one I even like that much but the kids loved it.

Would agree with WWRY! (Plank and I seem to do the same shows - haha!) It was a lot of fun and I very popular with kids and staff!

7. Crunchynut.... we do! ha!
    Under the new license holders, Grease is the word is not available... i asked, pleaded, flirted - almost reverted to offering sexual favours across the atlantic ocean - but alas.... they had not cleared it for stage performance!
    poo!
    (Might be different now!)

8. angelinascullina

angelinascullina New commenter

Hi
    www.luckybucket.co.uk have a catalogue of shows for young performers and all shows cater for large casts. Cheap as chips and flexible with cuts etc.
    FACE OF AN ANGEL is a film noir inspired jazz musical with lots of great characters and dancing opportunities.
    SWARM is a B-Movie spectacular with chance to use puppets. The rocky score goes down a storm with the performers.
    Lots of others to consider but these stand out as most suited to your needs. Perusal copies are free and can be ordered with no obligation. Licences are flexible and the schools licence is only £70. So much more practical than the big name shows with big price tags.
    Good Luck

9. WillowFae

WillowFae New commenter

At the risk of everyone groaning, there is always High School Musical.