1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

graphic pictures in the news

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sparklyeyes, May 5, 2011.

1. I have just been on to the Manchester Evening News website to check out my local news and was confronted by a picture of a man in the air having just been knocked over, The next one shows him on the ground. His parents wanted it published to see if it will help find the driver who did it.
    I feel very strongly that these kind of images are really intrusive and un-necessary. Personally, it really upsets me to see images of people being hurt like this or in fact, ill. As a result I don't watch Accident and Emergency type of programmes on tv. Is it just me?

2. I have just been on to the Manchester Evening News website to check out my local news and was confronted by a picture of a man in the air having just been knocked over, The next one shows him on the ground. His parents wanted it published to see if it will help find the driver who did it.
    I feel very strongly that these kind of images are really intrusive and un-necessary. Personally, it really upsets me to see images of people being hurt like this or in fact, ill. As a result I don't watch Accident and Emergency type of programmes on tv. Is it just me?

3. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

No, the Obama administration feel exactly the same way.
    I agree. For us average people. But for terrorist targets, I'm not so sure.
    I think we have to respect their wishes in this.

4. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

His parents may have been upset and outraged by what happened to him, but that doesn't mean it's right to force others to see it. More graphic accounts of the accident won't make it easier to identify the culprits
    You can't choose not to look, because once you've seen it, that's it.
    Publishers and editors have a responsibility to their readers and viewers.
    The more of these harrowing images people are exposed to, the more desensitized some can become. Others get depressed and anxious by seeing them; often more empathic, sensitive people.
    Nether outcome is useful

5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I hate seeing them, what's to gain from it? It's just morbid voyeurism.
    Some countries regularly show dead people in the press and on the tv, I hope we never go that way.

6. I've seen the same picture, sparklyeyes and its awful. I looked at it and thought if it was one of my sons. How would I feel? I can understand that the parents want the culprits caught but I couldn't do that if it was one of mine.