1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Graphic photographs in the press

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Crystalsecrets, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Crystalsecrets

Crystalsecrets New commenter

I've just been reading through the news on a well known newspapers website. There was an article about a man who had been hung for a crime he had commited, there then followed a photo of the person, hanging from a wall.
    I realised this is probably the first time i have seen such a graphic (well in my eyes) photo. I'm not judging anyone for how things are dealt with in other countries but i'm not sure i feel comfortable with that sort of image on regualr news sites, well at least without a warning.

Maybe i am just a little too sensitive or have we become so de-sensitised (sp) that graphic photos are the only way to grab headlines?
    hmmmm

2. Ithink I would have been shocked to see such an image while browsing a newspaper.
    I do think we are becoming de-sensitized to a a great many things that previously had great impact.
    How do we respond to famine, flood, earthquakes etc.
    I remember being distraught by images form famine hit Bangladesh, However we had four tv channels that broadcast for a few hours each day and no internet.
    I also think censorship was much tighter.

3. Crystalsecrets

I think you could be right about censorship. On reflection i think (and this sounds awful but i'll admit it) if he were hanging and his face were covered i probably would have scanned over it, but i think the fact you can see his face has struck me a bit.
    I have obviously become more de-sensitized after reading back this last comment. [​IMG]

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

The papers are getting worse. Last week the Daily Fail had a picture of a (foreign) bomb disposal expert being blown up under the headline "Ka boom, a bad day at the office" and a video of a man falling to his death trying to catch a baseball.
    I think there is no way they would show these pictures if they were in the UK but somehow foreigners are ok?

5. Crystalsecrets

Lol Robyn you caught me, this too is the Daily Mail website.

6. To throw the ball back -
    should no pictures have been shown of mass graves, of holocaust victims, of the wee girl in Vietnam?
    I would agree with you about the DM - I have seen the report. I think it would have been better to not show the picture on the title page and then warn of graphic content.
    However, that is possible in an online environment (as the DM site is) - where should the line be drawn in the print media?

7. Photos were recently shown of the guy being run down by a hit and run driver. I think in that particular case, it was wished by the family, although I am not entirely sure. There was a thread about it on here.
    The man falling to his death trying to catch a baseball was also in the German media.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

These pictures were of people about to die. The baseball one is a good example. The man's son is next to him. His Dad leaps up to catch it, falls over and falls to his death. I cannot look at that picture and video - it is just to awful.
    You raise some interesting points. The Vietnam picture - well I can clearly remember two. The naked girl running from ?napalm and the soldier being executed by a General. Graphic pictures - but memorable. They had a powerful impact on me.
    Holocaust pictures - well how far do you go? I've been to Auschwitz and the ovens and the rooms packed full of hair and teeth had a big impact as well. The pictures are powerful.
    Sadaam Hussain being hung - yes, I've seen that as well.
    But there are certain pictures that are powerful and maybe should be shown and those that shouldn't. I for one was not upset seeing the picture of the Afghan guy hanging but I was upset seeing the pictures (and video) of the dad falling to his death and the video (and inappropriate headline) of the bomb disposal expert being blown up.
    I repeat what I said - British media would never show this kind of stuff about Brits but they do about foreigners.

9. Yes, I found that much harder to look at (I didn't even click on the video). It was awful and I really do believe it has no place in the press.

10. Paradoxicalgirly

Paradoxicalgirly New commenter

I was sickened a couple of weeks ago by a feature on war photographers in the Guardian. There was a photo of a guy holding the hand and genitals which he'd cut off his enemy. Just seemed disrespecrful to the victim.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I long for the day that they go the same way as TNOTW. You have to wonder about the workings of a mind that comes up with a headline like that. S/he is definitely not someone I'd like to know.