1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Graphic calculators for A level

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by smillsj, Jan 10, 2012.

1. smillsj

smillsj New commenter

Can anyone recommend a calculator or software that they use?

2. smillsj

smillsj New commenter

Can anyone recommend a calculator or software that they use?

3. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Virtually all the graphing calculators (except possibly the latest CASIO ones) are "clunky" compared to ordinary calculators, so I don't see a lot of point in spending shed loads of money on them as the kids aren't that likely to put the effort in to become expert with them.

At a school where I used to teach, we lent out TI-81s to our A level students and those were good enough. They can be bought for next to nothing on ebay.

More up to date ones like the TI-82 & TI-84 are a bit nicer to look at but I'm not convinced they're really worth the money unless your students are very keen.

(There's a heck of a lot that can be done on the £6 CASIO FX-83GT+. It can do function tables, two-variable statistics and loads of stuff the kids almost never find out. About all it can't do is to draw graphs!)

4. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

Calculator:

1) Texas TI84 - used by all years at my school

2) Casio FX9750 - not as nice as Texas but easy to program

3) Texas TI-nspire - pricey but does lots more

Software:

1) Geogebra - free

2) Autograph or Omnigraph

3) Geometer's Sketchpad

5. Not used the Casio graphical calculators, but the TI-84 is good. The TI-nspire is really good, and does some very cool things, though I am finding it hard to learn how to use. I'm not sure about the A-Level, but on IB I know that you need to make sure you get the correct TI-inpsire models.
    To address the issue of the usefulness of graphical calculators: they can be VERY useful. I rarely used them when I was teaching A-Level, but IB requires that students know how to use the calculators. Now I see why they are so useful: some things that would take forever to do can now be done in seconds. And it tends to be the non-graphical aspects that are the most useful.