1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Grapheme / Phonics help needed

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by ohbananas, Feb 24, 2016.

1. ohbananas

ohbananas New commenter

Morning all,
    I hope this is ok to ask. I'm going for a teaching assistant job and have been asked to come up with a 5 minute game using the grapheme 'are'. My brain has gone completely blank and I feel completely out of my comfort zone.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Thanks

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Are you sure this is the right job for you? It seems a little worrying for you to feel completely out of your comfort zone when asked to think of a 5 minute phonics game.

Have you ever taught or observed a phonics lesson before? It doesn't matter if the focus was a different grapheme; the same sorts of games and ideas can be used for any grapheme. Think of a game you have played or seen played before, and adjust things slightly so that it fits what you have been asked to teach.

Remember that the interviewers are looking for your ideas, not those of random people on the internet, because they are deciding whether to employ you. It is no good you going to the interview with a fantastic idea, but then being unable to come up with any ideas of your own once you're in the job.

If you have an idea but would like some advice on whether it's good for the age group, if it will fill the time/be too long, if it could be improved in any way, etc, feel free to post it here.

Good luck with your interview!