1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

graph of Sinhx

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by fudgesweets, Jan 31, 2011.

1. fudgesweets

fudgesweets New commenter

hi all,

I am a bit confused. The graph of y=Sinhx seems to have a point of inflection about x=0. However if I differentiate this function then y'=Coshx and Coshx does not ever equal zero, bringing me to the conclusion that there are no turning points on that graph??

The website http://nrich.maths.org/2377&part=solution describes the point at the origin as a point of inflection also??

2. fudgesweets

fudgesweets New commenter

hi all,

I am a bit confused. The graph of y=Sinhx seems to have a point of inflection about x=0. However if I differentiate this function then y'=Coshx and Coshx does not ever equal zero, bringing me to the conclusion that there are no turning points on that graph??

The website http://nrich.maths.org/2377&part=solution describes the point at the origin as a point of inflection also??

3. Differentiate again.

4. briceanus

briceanus New commenter

Following from Polecat, a point of inflexion/inflection does not have to be at a point where the gradient of the curve is zero. It's just that in A-level maths, we only tend to look at f'(x)=0 AND f''(x) = 0 when analysing inflections.

5. coyote

coyote New commenter

You solve y'=0 to find maxima or minima. The point of inflection at x=0 for sinhx is neither.
    At this point, the gradient changes from decreasing to increasing.

6. DM

DM New commenter

You are looking at the wrong graph. The catenary is the interesting one!

7. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Can't remember if it's in the A-Level syllabus, but I would mention it anyway. At a point of inflection a region of a graph changes from concave to convex, or vice versa. A nice little fact, worth mentioning to students.