1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Grannies and Grandpas of 2016

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gooddays, Dec 23, 2015.

1. gooddays

gooddays Senior commenter

Has anyone else received any exciting news lately? Will you be a Nana? an Opa? Avó? Mémère?

Lascarina likes this.
  2. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Have said this before but....am destined not to be a Nana :( It is such a shame as my mother's side of the family is tracked back to 1500+ in the Isle of Man :( My 2 daughters are the last of my nana and Grandfather's line. I am gutted and am knitting for other people's grandchildren when the knitting urge takes me :(
    Apart from a good dose of self pity I worry that my girls might regret it... I know I will be long gone but what if hitting 50 or more they have regrets? I hate the thought of that.

Gooddays..... congratulations... I know you will treasure every moment and all the excitement leading up.....

gooddays likes this.
  3. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I flipping hope not
    There's enough now to fill a small school

Congrats btw

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. gooddays

And the name conferred on you by all of these grandchildren is......?

5. Didactylos4

It varies with their age
    One of them hasn't got that far yet

6. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Congrats!

Helen, how can you say this with such certainty? You never know what's around the corner.

7. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

Oh no. This really is Personal.

8. aspensquiver

Nana. Awful name.

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Huge Congratulations gooddays!
    I've been informed that son and fiancee intend starting a family as soon as the wedding is over next Feb, so who knows- there's just time to have tiny feet by next Christmas?
    Have vaguely discussed what we might be called. Might depend what the 'other Grans' choose and whatever I might like has to fit with what husband prefers.Inclination at present is towards Nana, as it's what I called my father's mother. (Gran the other side had died even before my parents married.) I quite like 'Gramps' for my husband, which would fit better with Grannie I think.

10. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

That's what my grandboys call me and that's what my son called my mum. So you can think it's awful all you like but to me it is completely wonderful.

11. Didactylos4

Indeed
    Oh Yes! :D

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

That settles it...when Number One Son informs me of the possibility of grandchildren I shall insist upon Nana :p

13. Spiritwalkerness

He did mention they were going to 'start trying'...and they ARE off to Mauritius on Boxing Day - it's their rather late honeymoon (18 months late)

14. aspensquiver

But isn't it ... a bit ...common? Think Prince William calls the queen Granny!!

15. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I shall be a Granny for the first time as my daughter and son-in-law are expecting a first baby in April. I shall be a grumpy 'Granny', since my mum is already Nana and it will cause chaos. Mr GL says he is going to be 'Sir'. :D

This weekend I have been asked to go to the hospital with them for the birth. I am pleased to have been asked and looking forward to it. Son-in-law is afraid he will be ill or stressed and have to leave! :D

Lara mfl 05, foxtail3 and Lascarina like this.
  16. Spiritwalkerness

I am. Plus I don't think they'd go for Grand Mater

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  17. gooddays

I'm liking the congratulations, not your disappointment about your girls' decisions. Both of them - that's too bad. :(

18. Spiritwalkerness

Actually I won't put that....

19. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Even if it were common as muck, I'd love it. The birth of my first grandboy was published in The Times and he was described therein as 'the apple of Nana Lasca's eye'. That posh enough for you, snottypot?

Noja, InkyP and Didactylos4 like this.
  20. gooddays

This is something I hear about quite frequently, but I would never have chosen to ask my lovely mother to be there when my children were born. I would have felt I had to 'behave' and I didn't want that. Our third was born at home with a midwife, which was fairly unusual here in 1992. My mother is (was) a nurse and she was appalled when my husband told her we hadn't gone to the hospital.

However, I would be more than delighted if my Kathleen asked me to be there.