1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Grandpa Chatterji

Discussion in 'Primary' started by JumpingStarfish, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    This is a bit of an odd request. I'm looking to use Grandpa Chatterji as a class book in September. However, its so expensive everywhere and I can't afford to buy it. I was wondering if anyone has a copy they would be willing to sell me? I'm sure there must be someone out there who hasn't used theirs in years who would be happy to make a couple of £ profit?!

2. Hi all,
    This is a bit of an odd request. I'm looking to use Grandpa Chatterji as a class book in September. However, its so expensive everywhere and I can't afford to buy it. I was wondering if anyone has a copy they would be willing to sell me? I'm sure there must be someone out there who hasn't used theirs in years who would be happy to make a couple of £ profit?!

3. Have you tried your local library? I use mine to get loads of books for school, fiction for me to read to them and non-fiction for research for them to use etc. All free of course!

4. Geez, it really shows a sign of my reliance on technology when I hadn't even thought to use the library! Thanks for the idea, will head down there and see what I can find. Even walked past the brand new local one yesterday and felt sad that I had no reason to go in there. Now I do! :)

5. My ones have the internet search option - so you can see if the book is in and where and renew online which is handy especially as I keep some of the books out for quite a while. I can also reserve from other libraries and it is sent to my local one (free) this might help if you can't find it at the new one you mentioned.

6. Thanks for the advice. Do you take them out on your account or do you have a special school account? As far as I can see, my library doesn't have a website so will have to go in tomorrow and have a look at what they have.Thank you so much for suggesting this, haven't used a library in the four years I have been teaching - this will save me a fortune in books!

7. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

Look on your local council website- the service where I live (Brum) is excellent. You can reserve books online from any library in the city and have them delivered to the local library for free. I use my own library card.

8. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Our library service runs a topic/author box service. You tell them the topics you are covering or authors being studied and they sort out a large box of supplies for you-which they deliver and change each term. Does your school have a similar service?

9. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Does your LA have a School Library Resource Service?

10. I use my own (can have up to 30 books in one go) but I could get a teachers one but that is the same amount of books but apparently if it is overdue they don't charge as much or something. Personally I prefer having it on one card then I can renew easily, would get confused if I had more than one and would end up not renewing.

11. Wow, never heard of that service before, it sounds brilliant! Don't think we have it in our area - what LA are you? Apparently libraries in Kent don't even have their own websites, let alone a facility like that!

Have searched for the School Library Resource Service but not been able to find that either. Think I'm going to have to go into both my local and the school's local libraries and talk to someone about what they can do for the school.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions everyone!

12. Msz

Msz Established commenter

13. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

Not sure if an audio of the story will be useful I used it during my placement unitl I could get hold of a book- only to find a copy in the school's own library!

Here's the link: http://stmatthewsyear5.wordpress.com/2011/01/15/grandpa-chatterji/

14. How did you manage to find that when i couldn't?! Thats a great service, can get guided reading books and everything. When money's tight, its a great way to have a rolling service of books. And 100 books at a time is amazing. Thanks for finding that, will be going to the library tomorrow to find out more!

15. Brilliant! That might do too!