1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Grandchildren - all the pleasure without the pain!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Panegyric, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Congratulations, mammal! It's lovely to hear things like this. Mr Pan and I are expecting our first child and my parents are unbelievably excited. I think they thought they'd be waiting a few years before they got a grandchild. (So did we actually!)

2. Congratulations.
    My grandson is the light of my life.
    How can you describe the love for a grandchild?
    It's not more than the love we have for our own children but it's so very different.
    Six is good number, don't think I'll ever have that many, enjoy them all.

3. impis

impis New commenter

I adore my grandchildren, but that doesn't mean that I want to spend all my 'holiday' or weekends looking after them. A vistit or two a week is great - but I'm far too busy doing all the other stuff that still needs doing - housework, gardening, planning etc. I also get cross when people assume that grannie [or grandad] will take care of the childcare [usually for free] while mom goes back to work.
    I've done my child rearing. If I wanted to rear children, I'd have had more of my own. This doesn't mean that I don't love them - I do - very much - but I am fed up of being told that i'm a useless nan because I won't take over at weekends. My daughter always claims that her nan [my mom] had her for weeks at a time - which was true - but my mom was retired, not working full time, and only had them for one week, per year, in the school holidays. I rarely asked her to babysit, and as a stay-at-home mom [at the time] I had no need of a child minder.

4. Totally agree Impis.
    I wanted to be nannna and get all the fun stuff while mum and dad did their bit.
    Useless *** just couldn't do it.
    I now have my grandson full time.
    I love him soooooo much but having him full time has changed the dynamic.
    Ah well, the sun is shining so we'll off to the park later.

5. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

Grandparents can be such special people in their grandchildren's life, as well as the other way round.
    I had a child out of wedlock (quaint phrase these days, but what it was 36 years ago) and my grandparents, who were very strict methodists, accepted me and the baby in a way my own parents couldn't.
    I have 6 living grandchildren and have them to stay as often as possible, with or without their parents. I can't do anything during the week but as I live by the beach they are usually here quite often. I can't imagine life without them.