1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

granary bread

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by nizebaby, Jan 28, 2020.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I'm not talking artisanal here, but the lovely, chewy, tasty loaves you used to be able to buy everywhere. Where have they gone?

2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

It's late and my tired eyes read granny bread, then I focused and realised its far from it... the type with bits to get stuck in her dentures... In response no idea but I like a pumpkin and sunflower loaf... Perhaps they have been replaced with 'seeded'.

3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

You can still get granary bread. We get it often. In fact my sandwiches are made with it today. Maybe it's sometimes called seeded bread. Same thing, though.

4. bizent

bizent Star commenter

I got a loaf from Tesco the other day. Our baker sells it in a square sandwich loaf but it’s not quite the same.
    Hovis sells about 5 different variations of it now.

5. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

The granary bread I remember was not "seeded" as such.

There's a lot of bread choice now but most of it is either industrial or amateurish.

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

I make it weekly.

7. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Granary bread is lovely and tasty and chewy. It's been taken over by "seeded" breads, but rhey really aren't the same.

8. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I like granary bread, but I once cracked a tooth eating a slice. Be careful!