1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Grammer question: "The book what I read "

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Sharpencil, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Sharpencil

Sharpencil New commenter

Hi all!
    I am writing reports, and I have a child with poor spoken grammar. A typical exchange would be:
    Me: "Which is your favourite book?"
    Him: "The one what I read yesterday."
    I want to write something about it in his report- but I can't explain it succinctly.
    Can anyone help me by saying which grammar rules he's breaking?

2. Sharpencil

Sharpencil New commenter

Hi all!
    I am writing reports, and I have a child with poor spoken grammar. A typical exchange would be:
    Me: "Which is your favourite book?"
    Him: "The one what I read yesterday."
    I want to write something about it in his report- but I can't explain it succinctly.
    Can anyone help me by saying which grammar rules he's breaking?

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Which rule? Do you need to be that precise? Can you not just say something like 'XXX sometimes needs support to speak in grammatically correct sentences and this also hinders his writing'?

4. Sharpencil

Sharpencil New commenter

I don't suppose I do need to be that precise, but the parents make the same mistake, so unless I'm specific they won't realise what I mean. I don't have room to give long winded examples, I just wondered if there was a way to chop it down to something equivalent to: "X uses a split infinitive in speech". They can at least google it.
    Perhaps there isn't a rule though. Knowledge of grammer isn't exactly my strong point either! I am very correct, but I don't know the rules, I just grew up being spoken to properly.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

In that case you are on to a losing wicket. If the parents do not see it as incorrect then the child won't. I'd not bother to mention it myself as I'd not want to offend the parents, who won't knowingly speak incorrectly.

Mention things that parents can help the child with.

6. I would be hard pressed to find a parent who DOES speak grammatically correctly in my class.

7. Is it affecting their writing? If so, focus on the writing. If not, leave well alone. People speak differently all over the country and you risk causing offence for very little result.

8. Sorry, didn't mean to press quote there!

9. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

I agree with the minx, explaining to the parents that their child uses an
    interrogative pronoun as a relative pronoun is not going to help anyone
    with anything.