1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Grammatical Structures - KS2 Writing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Edukate, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Edukate

Edukate New commenter

Please can anyone shed light on exactly what we are looking for in this bullet point from the interim assessment framework?

- selecting vocabulary and grammatical structures that reflect the level of formality required mostly correctly

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Taking the cue 'from level of formality' I would suggest that you'd be looking for unbreviated structures is not as opposed to isn't for example. Use of conditional and phrases such as 'it may be that . . . .', some people would maintain that . . . ' (in a discussion). Higher level vocabulary used more specifically, and perhaps descriptively if appropriate. Sorry can't think of any examples at the moment.

3. MelanieSLB

MelanieSLB New commenter

I'd say it's about the student knowing the different between familiar/"normal" (sorry, can't think of the right word)/formal language.

It's ****: said to a fellow pupil
    It's rubbish: in normal conversation
    This is not appropriate/good enough (or whatever else the context needs): in a formal conversation.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

We've done formal and informal letters.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. wordclass

wordclass New commenter

Two aspects to consider:

1. Formal (posh/on best behaviour) vs informal (everyday/relaxed)

2. Vocabulary vs grammar

Informal word choice (dad) vs formal word choice (father)

Informal grammar (I’m) vs formal grammar (I am)

Mixed examples:

You’ll (1) go (2) by train, won’t you? (3)

[INFORMAL: contraction (1), verb choice (2), tag question (3)]

If I were (4) you, I would (5) travel (6) by train.

[FORMAL: subjunctive mood (4), full form of modal verb/no contraction (5), more formal verb (6)]