1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Grammar teaching sequence

Discussion in 'English' started by McCahey, Nov 27, 2011.

1. McCahey

McCahey New commenter

Could anybody point me in the direction of a teaching sequence for grammar? This is aimed at KS 2.
    Many thanks!

2. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

I imagine that you'd have a little more success teaching grammar if you contextualise it as part of your everyday teaching. Granted, you can move through teaching rules one at a time in a sequence, but whether that'll 'stick' is another thing. Or, if you want an immediate answer, try the following.

http://www.crickweb.co.uk/ks2literacy.html

3. I agree completely. I remember struggling with complicated German grammar at school and it never made sense and I always got it wrong. I only finally 'got it' after moving to a German speaking country and learning the language 'on the job' (in the IT inductry then). The grammar fell into place immediately.
    The 'cloze' exercises you linked to are a good way to teach grammar within 'real' language as you suggest. There are lots of free examples of this kind of thing that teachers can configure themselves and perhaps link to short stories to give the all important context. e.g. Hot Potatoes Cloze http://hotpot.uvic.ca/
    Do the kids know what the point of grammar is? Many teachers with heavy work loads and predefined lesson strategies might easily forget this. As a parallel I covered a primary maths class once for a sick colleague. They were practising times tables, so I asked them why they needed to know them. Answers ranged from 'to be good at school' to 'so Mr X will be pleased with us!".
    So out came the chocolate boxes, crates of mineral water etc.. to count the contents!
    Regards

4. McCahey

McCahey New commenter

Thanks for the suggestions/ comments.these are much appreciated. I am actually reviewing how, when and where I teach grammar within the curriculum. As in all classes, I have a wide range of ability, from 2c- 5C. I simply want to look at a straight forward overview rather than actual exercises.