1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Grammar Schools?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by laureneve, Feb 23, 2016.

1. laureneve

laureneve New commenter

Is it difficult to go from a Grammar school back to a non-selective school? I have only worked in comprehensives before, but I am worried about making the move to a Grammar school in case that narrows my choice later on ... Does anyone have any experience with this?

All thoughts much appreciated.

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I worked in both types during my career (note - this was a while ago - I'm now retired). If you have a fair number of years in comprehensives, I don't think a few years in a selective school will stop you going back to comprehensives later. I also worked with many colleagues who had worked in both types.

3. Futureleader

Futureleader Occasional commenter

Depends perhaps on your subject and the recruitment situation in your area. We are a non selective school and short of science teachers. We will consider taking them from a Grammar School.

4. thekizzaa

thekizzaa New commenter

I work in a grammar school now.

I'd probably never go back to teaching in a non-selective school. For me, it's ok, because I don't care about career progression, but as there are less grammar schools than normal comps, there are less opportunities to move up the ladder.

Having said that, I'm moving to an FE college next year.

5. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

I've worked in both, no issues moving between.

6. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

Well I hope your English improves then. If you haven't been taught the difference bewteen "less" and "fewer", it's not your fault, of course. But I'm surprosed nobody has picked it up if you are a qualified teacher.

7. thekizzaa

thekizzaa New commenter

Wow. I didn't realise you were so amazing. I wish I was like you. I bet all your girlfriends love how confidently you type on an internet forum.

Oh wait, that's right, you've just proved you're a bit of a loser.

I guess I don't wish I was like you.

Get a life.

8. thekizzaa

thekizzaa New commenter

Surprosing, indeed.

9. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

From Forum house rules: "Try not to criticise another user's grammar or spelling."

10. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Opps

11. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

I'm not "surprosed" some have picked it up because they are qualified teachers.

12. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

If this goes on, we might have less critics of posters' English on this forum. Or fewer?

13. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

So you can all generaly spot spelling errors but aren't competant with grammar then?

14. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Are you trying to throw a baited line out there @Jonntyboy ?

15. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

No, most of us can spot both, but tend to keep quiet about it unless a poster decides to make an issue of either. I don't think I have ever commented on a split infinitive.