1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Grammar school requirements-would I be considered?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by san38, Mar 6, 2016.

1. san38

san38 New commenter

I've seen a job for which I am suitable as a subject leader. I trained 15 years ago as mature student &as I had a young family went to the local (ex poly) uni. As far as I'm concerned it was a good place to be&I left with a 1st.
    Would it be likely that a grammar school would be looking for an ex 'grammar pupil/red brick uni' type or is this paranoia on my part?!

2. katykook

katykook Occasional commenter

I think they will look more at the results your students get.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  3. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I can't see why as it goes against the ethos of helping those from 'disadvantage' to get a (so called) respected education. I really don't think there is an unwritten rule that teachers at grammar schools should be from Oxford or Cambridge :)

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Theo or Middlemarch or other Heads would be better qualified to advise but if you've got a 1st I'd say, "Go for it!"
    If you don't try, you'll never know.

5. davidmu

davidmu Occasional commenter

If you meet their requirements then you lose nothing by applying. You might not be asked to teach aspiring Oxbridge students in year 13 for Physics or Mathematics Exhibitions but there will be plenty of younger students to be taught.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I worked in a number of grammar schools, and had colleagues from a wide range of universities (and even wider range of schools!). As has been said already the quality of your degree and (esp.) your record as a good teacher are more important.

Go for it!

7. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

You definitely don't need to go to Oxbridge to either do Oxbridge preparation or entrance. At my last school (a grammar), neither the HOD nor more senior teacher had Oxbridge qualifications and they routinely sent 1 or 2 a year (very small numbers at A-level). It's about confidence, subject knowledge and enthusiasm for learning that Oxbridge want and that is not limited to Oxbridge graduates! Plus, there is sure to be a 6th form tutor or person who assists with applications, interview advice and entrance exams from a pastoral/administrative angle.

Ps. I did go to Oxford but I'm American, so perhaps the two cancel each other out?

8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

NB Most - the vast majority - of grammar school pupils don't go to Oxford or Cambridge. Provided the OP can show that he/she understands the demands of teaching the most able, and can deliver this, I don't see not having studied at Oxbridge matters. (FWIW I was frequently one of very few with an Oxbridge degree in the grammar schools I taught in, in one case the only one).

9. san38

san38 New commenter

Thank you all for those very positive&helpful responses!

10. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

The others have said it all - and especially that if you have recent data to show that the students you teach (and have responsibility for if already a HOD) have achieved well - I cannot see why you should not apply. Be sure to include relevant 'evidence of your impact' data within your application.

11. san38

san38 New commenter

Thank you middlemarch

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there @san38

The main thing is meeting their requirements. And unless one of those is Good Honours degree from a Russell Group University, then you are not going to see your application discarded for your alma mater!

No, I am wrong.

The main thing is showing clearly that you meet their requirements.

Why you should always include an E.S. in an application

If you haven't yet found all the applications advice, come on down to Jobseekers and ask.

Best wishes

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

14. san38

san38 New commenter

Thank you very much for the invaluable advice which I am now reading. 12 years since I've considered applying for another job and I'd never head of an Executive Summary!

15. san38

san38 New commenter

#heard even!

16. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Happy reading!

17. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I do lmow of one grammar school near me (not the one where I worked) where the Head was interested in which univeristy teachers went to, but this is not usually going to be the case. however, it is important to emphasise subject knowledge in your application, as grammars will be concerned about this.

I doubt if any new teacher is going to be given such classes, unless they already have experience of them of there is no credible alternative. But, once a teacher has shown themselves up to it, there is no reason at all why they would not be considered for any class.