1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Grammar School Interview

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by cam1982, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Hello
    I have got an interview on Thursday 22nd March at Grammar School. I have always worked in 'normal' comprehensive schools.
    Aside from the obvious of pushing students to achieve the very highest grades, what else should I expect in a grammar school? How is it different to a comprehensive school? Are they likely to ask very different questions?
    It is a government funded grammar school....if that makes any difference?
    Kind regards
    Carrie Ann

2. Hello
    I have got an interview on Thursday 22nd March at Grammar School. I have always worked in 'normal' comprehensive schools.
    Aside from the obvious of pushing students to achieve the very highest grades, what else should I expect in a grammar school? How is it different to a comprehensive school? Are they likely to ask very different questions?
    It is a government funded grammar school....if that makes any difference?
    Kind regards
    Carrie Ann

3. It is unlikely that questions will be different (I have taught in grammar schools for 14 years mostly at Head of Department level and have attended many interviews in the time too). You will still get the bog standard questions. They may very well ask how you would go about stretching the brightest students, your experience of A level and how you would teach an outstanding lesson. Extra-curricular will be an important issue too as in the case of Indy schools.

By the way you still get naughty children in grammar schools and they can be just as difficult particularly if you are teaching bottom sets. There are some very average grammar schools that I would not touch with a barge pole. My first school was a comprehensive school and was nice. My second school was a 2nd rate grammar school and I found behavior worse. My third school, on the other hand was a very good grammar school and was top notch. There is definitely a tier system. Good luck!

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree that behaviour isn't necessarily better, though the school will have higher standards to be upheld. Children may be a tad more arrogant and you might find parents are much more of an issue in a grammar school- so you might be asked a question about how you'd deal with a parent.

5. Thank you for the hints and tips so far!
    I have to to deliver a 10 minutes revision session for twelve Year 13 students! I'll be swotting up and research questions this coming week!!