1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Grammar School in hot water

Discussion in 'Education news' started by blazer, Aug 29, 2017.

1. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Ah yes. The old "I went to Oxford" trick. I've heard people do that on several occasions!

peggylu likes this.
  2. MonMothma

MonMothma Established commenter

And their adverts are very very very keen to promote Queen Ethelburgas as a school with great results where many pupils go to Oxbridge.

Sir Humphrey would be very proud.

3. a1autotransport

a1autotransport New commenter

4. grrmummy

grrmummy New commenter

On behalf of all parents misguided enough to send their children to grammar schools (my defence is it was the most local school and my very shy but academically well performing daughter felt it was, as the smallest and girls only school, the most suitable) a sincere Thank You to everyone who has understood and tried not to judge,

Missbubbleblue likes this.
  5. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Established commenter

Ethelburga's is mad. Thye send us brochures (I have no girls...) urging us to choose the school and detailing the bus routes (we live a very long way from the school). The word desperate is always the one that comes to mind.

grrmummy likes this.
  6. phlogiston

phlogiston Lead commenter

If I lived in an area with grammar schools, I certainly wouldn't have willingly sent my daughter to the secondary modern.
    Essex, where I once worked might have been more complicated as there are only a few grammars and some of the comprehensives are genuinely comprehensive. (This might have improved since I worked there - or not).

saluki likes this.
  7. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Parents will do what they feel is best for their children within the system they have available. What we describe here is a broken, misleading and potentially fraudulent system.

peggylu, PeterQuint and galerider123 like this.
  8. binaryhex

binaryhex Established commenter

9. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Established commenter

I quite agree.

I believe that we should have world class health care and education, free at the point of use.

But if my child was ill, and the only treatment cost money, I'd pay for it. That wouldn't mean I agreed that money should buy you health.

needabreak likes this.
  10. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

11. MonMothma

See - if you complain and generate publicity, you win.

I wonder if this has sent a warning to other schools?

needabreak likes this.
  12. needabreak

13. ElPintor

ElPintor New commenter

Interesting story. I personally believe that all children should be able to remain at their secondary school until age 18, if they wish. If they are not considered A Level standard, then the school should offer other qualifications suited to their needs. No wonder so many become disenchanted when they are kicked out of their so-called 'comprehensive' schools because they fail to make the grades at GCSE. Comprehensive schools are not supposed to filter children out based on their 'ability' or academic performance, so why is it allowed at 16+?

needabreak and palmtree100 like this.
  14. galerider123

galerider123 Occasional commenter

From https://www.theguardian.com/educati...ws-rejected-sixth-formers-to-return-to-school

Dozens of parents and pupils contacted the Guardian with similar stories from different areas of the country, with pupils being ejected halfway through their A-level or GCSE courses for fear of poor results.

The Department for Education said in a statement: “Our regulations make clear that schools are not allowed to remove pupils from a sixth form because of academic attainment once they are enrolled. Excluding pupils temporarily or permanently for non-disciplinary reasons is unlawful.”

But there are other catches to watch out for too.

Other students that had been alllowed to stay on a discretionary basis had already been told " they would be allowed to continue on a discretionary basis and that if they did not get a minimum B grade in mock exams the school might not enter them for their A-level exams."

The whole ethos is just unbelievable. I hope that the situation has made the school take a long hard look at what they are doing.

needabreak likes this.
  15. saluki

saluki Established commenter

We live in an area with an outstanding, oversubscribed, sixth form college. In the days of coursework they used to make students re-write and improve their coursework until it was of a required standard. One boy said 'oh I've got a B, that'll do.' The college replied 'We'll decide what will do - re write and improve it.' Is that called having high standards and expectations or should they have accepted the B?
    I have a (probably mistaken) belief that students who have been conditioned to work hard and have aspirations tend to do well in Higher Education and the workplace. Those who think 'That'll do.' generally under-perform.

16. MonMothma

Nothing wrong with encouraging hard work and demanding the effort is put in.

And if the student is working really hard, is putting in high effort but still comes out with a B - then what?

Off the course? Despite doing their best efforts?

Where do you stop?

galerider123 likes this.
  17. needabreak

This issue is not about encouraging students to improve their grades, (the coursework example is practically void now since the lack of coursework makes such remarking and grade improvement uneccesary.) This issue us about accepting students into 6th form then asking them to leave at a time when it would be virtually impossible to find comparable alternative provision simply because the grades they appear to be in line to get are not conducive to showing the school in a good light in the highly competitive world of education.

chelsea2 and galerider123 like this.
  18. Pallas

Pallas New commenter

It's all very well for Mr Halfon to feign surprise. In fact, at St Olave's, the grade requirement for entry to year 13 is published on the school website in the 6th Form Infomrmation Booklet - page 14 to be precise.

Why did OFSTED not pick this up when it published its glowing report in March 2014?
    Why did the Clerk not advise Governors that the Yr13 requirement is illegal?

I agree with MonMothma - this has ONLY come to light because 2 x sets of parents had the balls to raise a judicial review. That's simply not good enough.

19. needabreak

So how do they monitor this and what do they do about it?

Especially in academies and the Independent sector that have far more autonomy where Ofsted for example can claim not to have any authority? (Yes I have seen the letter where they claim not to have any power in academies in this regard and would take no further action. The parent has multiple copies and copies stored in several places and clouds).

galerider123 likes this.
  20. Pallas

Pallas New commenter

Someone, somewhere, has commented that OFSTED will/could/should include a pupil retention indicator from Yr12 to Yr13 when inspecting 6th form provision. A quick look at Policy would also help - which clearly did not happen at the last inspection of St Olave's.

How OFSTED can give a school an Outstanding rating when their practices are illegal according to the DfE beggars belief.

galerider123 and needabreak like this.