1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Grammar question

Discussion in 'Primary' started by WelshMags, Nov 3, 2017.

1. WelshMags

WelshMags New commenter

What part of speech is "those" in this sentence.
    "These socks are dirtier than those."
    "These" is a determiner. Does a determiner always have a noun after it? In this sentence you could add socks at the end so that "those" would be a determiner. To me, the second "socks" is implied, so is "those" a determiner too in this case?

2. bonxie

bonxie Occasional commenter

In that sentence, 'These' is a determiner because it indicates which socks you're talking about and 'those' is a pronoun because it is used to replace the noun 'socks'. Like many words, 'those' can be different parts of speech in different sentences. It's the plural form of 'that'. Examples are of the different uses are given here: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=d...rome..69i57.3099j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

3. galerider123

galerider123 Established commenter

4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Established commenter

Agree with bonxie.

WelshMags and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. WelshMags

WelshMags New commenter

galerider123 likes this.
  6. WelshMags

WelshMags New commenter

From this information, is there an argument for both as "those" could be argued to be referring to the socks previously mentioned, so could be said to be "previously mentioned, known or understood"?

galerider123 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. galerider123

WelshMags likes this.
  8. Lalad

Lalad Senior commenter

No, because "those" replaces the noun in the sentence under discussion, whereas "these" qualifies it. If you added 'socks' at the end, "those" would indeed act as a determiner - it's precisely because you haven't that it doesn't.

WelshMags likes this.
  9. WelshMags

WelshMags New commenter

OK, that makes sense.

10. WelshMags

WelshMags New commenter

Yes, but you can't always rely on just a glossary. Too many words that can appear in more than one category etc. If only it were straightforward!

11. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Flippin heck!
    Do we actually have to teach children stuff like this these days?

I've been out of state schools for two years and out of KS2 in state schools for seven. I wouldn't have a clue about this stuff! :oops:

Poor kids.

12. WelshMags

WelshMags New commenter

Yep - afraid so! Poor children! I have a very bright top set, so I want to get it right.

13. joannak1

joannak1 New commenter

Or is it a pronoun?

14. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Yes, it is - plural form of the pronoun "that" referring to the more distant item.
    Also "this" can be used as determiner or a pronoun, which can refer to the nearer of two items. (Not its sole
    usage, though.)

15. galerider123

SPaG...spelling, punctuation and grammar. That list is guidance for teachers though.

16. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

It is a demonstrative pronoun.

17. WelshMags

WelshMags New commenter

But look at this link and type in the sentence. It comes up as a determiner. I can still see an argument for both determiner and demonstrative pronoun. I'm sure in the SATs test it will just be a straightforward determiner before a noun, but I want to be sure I know the finer points myself...

http://parts-of-speech.info/

18. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

The parts-of-speech page comes with the warning below.

"Computers make mistakes too!"

It's wrong to give both words as determiners. Definitely. (Not really the computer's fault, though. Blame the programmer.)

Talking of being wrong, I've had no reply, not even an acknowledgement, to my email asking why Ofsted seems to be endorsing the myth that our children do SATs. (October, HMCI's Commentary.) It's what she calls NCTs, more than once.
    Wonder what she imagines the letters might stand for ("Survey about Teachers"? School Accountability Trials"?)

WelshMags and Lalad like this.
  19. Lalad

Lalad Senior commenter

It's not a determiner - it's a pronoun.
    The information in the link is incorrect.

WelshMags likes this.
  20. WelshMags

WelshMags New commenter

OK - think I've been convinced it's a pronoun! Thanks everyone!