1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Grammar Question

Discussion in 'English' started by resources4drama, Feb 20, 2012.

1. My grammar and spelling are usually very good, but I'm going round in mental circles trying to decide which, if any, of these is correct:
    They looked at each other's faces.
    They looked at each others' faces.
    They looked at each other's face.
    They looked at each others' face.
    What do you think before you scroll down?

I'll nail my colours to the mast and say I think it's number 1 (because it replaces "they looked at the faces of each other").
    Then the niggles start. Each person has only one face, so maybe it should be singular; but collectively there are many faces.
    ?

2. My grammar and spelling are usually very good, but I'm going round in mental circles trying to decide which, if any, of these is correct:
    They looked at each other's faces.
    They looked at each others' faces.
    They looked at each other's face.
    They looked at each others' face.
    What do you think before you scroll down?

I'll nail my colours to the mast and say I think it's number 1 (because it replaces "they looked at the faces of each other").
    Then the niggles start. Each person has only one face, so maybe it should be singular; but collectively there are many faces.
    ?

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Until I scrolled down I was going with number 3!
    I <u>do not</u> claim to be an expert so in my very humble opinion ...
    I thought about what I would use if I continued the sentence.
    They looked at each other's face and then started to giggle.
    The other person only has one face.
    I am prepared to stand corrected [​IMG]

4. But there are six of them - so each person sees five other faces.... (just to be a swine!)

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

They looked at each others' faces and then started to giggle?
    They looked at the faces of the others in the group.
    Oooh - I'm not sure - best leave it to others better qualified than me I think! [​IMG]

6. Yes - it's the use / omission of the word "each" that causes the problem, isn't it?