1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Grammar question

Discussion in 'Primary' started by greta444, Jun 25, 2011.

1. greta444

greta444 New commenter

No apostrophe but there should be full stops for G.P.

2. I've always believed that there should be an apostrophe there.
    If you were going to say, 'After four weeks, the egg hatched', there is no need for an apostrophe. If, however, you say, 'After four weeks' waiting, the egg hatched', an apostrophe is needed.
    http://www.eng-lang.co.uk/apostrophe_rules.htm
    I agree with the full stops, though.

3. There should be an apostrophe. The experience belongs to the years.

4. I would put the apostrophe in too.

5. I think that's a bit more clear cut, as waiting is a gerund. Experience isn't. I'd use an apostrophe for that years' experience example too, but I think that it would also be acceptabe not to.

6. richbreeds

richbreeds New commenter

Yes there should be an apostrophe- as the experience belongs to the years

7. taj

taj

Definitely an apostrophe.

8. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

It should read '7 years of experience'

9. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

No - 7 years' experience is quite correct.

10. I would not use an apostrophe in this case as it does not affect the meaning at all really.
    I am lazy and he less punctuation the better for me!

11. Evidently.

12. WB

WB New commenter

Regencyrob,
    1 year's experience
    2 years' experience
    3 years' experience

You do know that you're paid to know this stuff and teach it to kids?

13. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Sorry to say that this "belonging" or "possession" notion for the genitive -'s or -s' is rubbish. Surely, nobody teaches that these days.
    Of course it's "three years' experience". Anybody knows that.

14. wordclass

wordclass New commenter

I was wondering when you might turn up, Marcuss. In agreement though!

15. What a ridiculous thought. At school at lunchtimes I always use a knife and fork and I sit properly in order to set a good example. When at home I use my fingers, sometimes use only a fork and sometimes I sit with my dinner on my lap. Does that mean I do not know how to use an knife and fork or that I set a bad example to my children? No - because they are not there.
    Sometimes outside of school (well quite often really) I use slang words and profanities - does that mean I don't know how to use standard English when standing in front of the children? Does that make me a bad teacher I think not.
    Sometimes I post on here from my Iphone or really quickly on my laptop, as often I am in the middle of doing something else so I miss out bits of punctuation and if you feel like trawling through some of my posts you will find some with no punctuation at all not even a capital letter.
    My point was not that I wouldn't teach the possessive apostrophe but rather in my personal opinion it is pointless really! If you look at the sentence it is is not needed.
    '2 years experience' does the job adequately in my book - I cannot see how the meaning can be misinterpreted by adding or removing an apostrophe.