1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Grammar question. 'We must not do that.......or maybe.....we can'. (Correct?)

Discussion in 'English' started by Jonha, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Jonha

Jonha New commenter

I am pretty sure the above is correct, namely that when you use pause stops (or whatever they are) the following words remain in lower case, but I'd like to be 100% sure. It isn't; ' We must not do that.....Or maybe......We can......' ???

2. Jonha

Jonha New commenter

I am pretty sure the above is correct, namely that when you use pause stops (or whatever they are) the following words remain in lower case, but I'd like to be 100% sure. It isn't; ' We must not do that.....Or maybe......We can......' ???

3. The ellipsis means that some words have been omitted. In the example you give it's probably being used in a fictional context to create an impression of indecision.
    Because omitting some words will often damage the structure of a sentence, it's common to clean up. So you can change capitalisation from the original to make the words flow more freely. You can also add auxiliaries. Use square brackets to idnicate your changes if it's important not to misrepresent the original in any way.
    In the example you give, there are probably no real words to omit. So anything is correct.

4. Jonha

Jonha New commenter

Thanks a lot for the reply - very helpful.

5. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

If I've counted right (!) you have an odd number of stops between "that" and "or" and also between "maybe" and "can". In that case, your stops for ellipsis indicate that you have left out part of a sentence but not the end of one. So, the lower case letters are correct.

6. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Alternatively, of course, you may not have omitted any words at all with the stops just meaning, "Hang on a bit! Wait for it!". The lower case would still be fine.

7. You're right, although I didn't know that rule until I checked.
    When omitting the end of a sentence, the ellipsis should be four dots, the ellipsis itself, followed by the full stop to terminate the sentence. If omitting the beginning of the sentence, the ellipsis is joined to the full stop terminating the preceding sentence, and there is no preceding space character.
    These rules are designed for lawyers, to prevent legal challenges being made about incorrectly quoted material.