1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Grammar - MFL PGCE and GTP

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by aligru, Aug 3, 2011.

1. I did my GTP a few years ago and I'd like to know whether people on a PGCE course get any training in how to teach what grammar in KS3 and 4. Grammar was not focused on at all during my training and I wonder whether it is the same on PGCE courses.

2. FrauSue

FrauSue New commenter

I think it varies from course to course, so you will get quite differing responses. I was taught to teach grammar in an integrated way (e.g. through use of classroom language) and encourage pupils to work out the rules for themselves where possible. My department has a fairly traditional approach to grammar so my teaching style is somewhere between the two.
    If you're interested in grammar teaching, the following articles may be useful:
    Shaffer, C., 1989. A Comparison of Inductive and Deductive Approaches to Teaching Foreign Languages. The Modern Language Journal, 73 (4), pp. 395-403. - She gives a good overview of why a more inductive approach to grammar may be useful to all students, regardless of ability.
    Schmidt, R., 2001. Attention. In: Robinson, P. (ed.) Cognition and Second Language Instruction. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, pp. 3-32. - I like this chapter. Schmidt talks about highlighting salient features of texts and getting pupils to notice what there is to be noticed.
    A useful book might be Grammar and the Language Teacher by Bygate, M., Tonkins, A. and Williams, E. (eds.), 1994. Published by Prentice Hall.
    Hope that helps.