1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Grammar - Help urgently needed please!

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Cestrian, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Cestrian

Cestrian New commenter

<u></u>
    • 1)
      Do you teach grammar? yes
    • 2)
      If so, do you do this explicitly or implicitly? What
      are your reasons for this?
      usually explain point once pupils have been exposed to it in class - don't just launch into explanation "cold"
    • 3)
      Do you teach grammar in the target language or in
      English? What are your reasons for this?
      Initially English, as "grammatical language" not usually accessible to pupils in T, but may re-visit points in later lessons and use simple TL to remind pupils.
    • 4)
      How important do you feel it is to teach Grammar to
      pupils?
      essential, they are keen to see how words fit together rather than just use discrete lists of nouns etc
    • 5)
      Does this differ between year groups / Key Stages? only by the depth of explanation, but it depends on the group and the grammar point
    • 6)
      In your experience, what are the positive effects of
      teaching grammar?
      Enables pupils to adapt and create their own language by giving them the rules. Can help with understanding English grammar too
    • 7)
      What can the more negative effects be? Why do you
      think this is so?
      They can see it as boring, I try to use examples which aren't boring!
    • 8)
      Do certain &lsquo;groups&rsquo; (boys / girls / KS3/4 / higher
      sets etc) respond better to grammar than others? How? Why do you think this is
      so?
      Top sets often better able to cope with higher level of understanding, depends on the pupils and the language - I often describe German as being very "mathematical" and logical
    • 9)
      How much impact (5 = greatly, 1 = not so much) do you
      feel teaching grammar has on pupils&rsquo; skills in:
    • Reading = 3 Writing = 5 Speaking = 4 Listening
      =3
    • Please add any other comments: Grammar more useful in Reading and Listening at KS5 level, where understanding of grammar is needed for comprehension of passages in exams

2. It's probably a bit late for this, but just in case ...

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

1) Do you teach grammar?
    yes
    2) If so, do you do this explicitly or implicitly? What are your reasons for this?
    explicitly., when i was training it was trendy to get the students to work the grammar rules out - it never worked! If you want them to understand teh grammer you have to explain it to them in a way they will get.
    3) Do you teach grammar in the target language or in English? What are your reasons for this?
    English - see above
    4) How important do you feel it is to teach Grammar to pupils?
    Vital. Without grammar all they will ever be able to produce is a list of vocabulary and some set phrases learnt parrot fashios (very useful for CA!!!!)
    5) Does this differ between year groups / Key Stages?
    not really. i start with explaing the grammar in year 7 and kep coming back to it over and over again as the years go on. I may "upsize" my language with y11, but the content is the same sort of stuff.
    6) In your experience, what are the positive effects of teaching grammar?
    see 4
    7) What can the more negative effects be? Why do you think this is so?
    if you give the students too much at one time they can get bogged down in it. eg: introduce pass&eacute; compos&eacute; reg ~er verbs and get familiar with those before moving on to other conjugations, irregulars or intransitive verbs of motion.
    8) Do certain &lsquo;groups&rsquo; (boys / girls / KS3/4 / higher sets etc) respond better to grammar than others? How? Why do you think this is so?
    it depends on how you phrase it - this aspect needs differentiating as much as any other: the way I intro p/c to bottom set y8 will be different to how I revise it with top set y10 (interestingly, both classes are male-dominated in my mixed community comprehensive school!).
    9) How much impact (5 = greatly, 1 = not so much) do you feel teaching grammar has on pupils&rsquo; skills in:
    Reading = 3
    Writing = 5
    Speaking = 4
    Listening = 3

• 1) Do you teach grammar? Yes - definitely!
    • 2) If so, do you do this explicitly or implicitly? What are your reasons for this? - Both - it depends on which language is being taught, what the grammar point is and also if the grammar point has an obvious English equivalent or not.
    • 3) Do you teach grammar in the target language or in English? What are your reasons for this?
    • Both - again, it depends on the factors in question 2. When teaching sequence of tenses in French at A level, for example, I constantly compare and contrast with English
    • 4) How important do you feel it is to teach Grammar to pupils?
    • Very important - and they do actually find it interesting and useful sometimes!!!
    • 5) Does this differ between year groups / Key Stages?
    • Not really....it depends on what depth of understanding is needed at the time. With KS3 German for example, I do it in tiny chunks, wait until they are embedded and then introduce the next step.
    • 6) In your experience, what are the positive effects of teaching grammar?
    • It liberates pupils to experiment beyond a vocab list. If they can see how the language works, they can then try things out.
    • 7) What can the more negative effects be? Why do you think this is so?
    • The lesson can degenerate into a theoretical discussion of a grammar point - pupils need to be able to see why they need to know the point and what it will enable them to do
    • 8) Do certain &lsquo;groups&rsquo; (boys / girls / KS3/4 / higher sets etc) respond better to grammar than others? How? Why do you think this is so?
    • I teach girls only - KS3 to KS5 - generally speaking they respond well to grammar input - they are high-achieving and for some of them there is an intellectual delight in understanding grammar and how languages work
    • 9) How much impact (5 = greatly, 1 = not so much) do you feel teaching grammar has on pupils&rsquo; skills in:
    • Reading = 5 Writing = 5 Speaking = 5 Listening = 5
    • Please add any other comments:

5. funambule

funambule New commenter

There's a high degree of communality in these responses; what the reples don't tell you is how representative this is of MFL teachers as a body.By definition, are teachers who post on this forum more grammar orientated? Have they been teaching longer; is that what makes the difference?

6. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Am I the only one to be startled that a PGCE student in the final few weeks of course can not only start the research for an essay the weekend before it's due in, but then not even thank the contributors for their extended answers at such short notice...
    Just me then. Sorry for the rant.

7. Thank you so much for your brilliant answers - this has helped me a great deal and I am very grateful! I will respond properly when everything is in, but I found your answer to Q5 particularly interesting as I had not thought of it like that - thanks again!

8. Please ignore this message! I have never used the forum before so am getting to grips with working out how to respond to thank people individually.

9. Do you seriously have nothing better to do than pass judgement on someone you don't know?
    Not that I need to justify myself to you, but for your information I began my research in March. I have interviewed pupils and teachers at my placement school, and have conducted further research with over 50 people who use languages in professions other than teaching. I gained 69% in my last Masters level research project and am hoping to better that this time...
    Whilst writing up my research I thought it might be interesting to hear the views of language teachers from further afield. Some wonderfully helpful people responded, for which I am very grateful and have responded to <u>all</u> of them in private messages.
    Please forgive me if that idea came to me late in the day, but I have been preoccupied with trying to teach outstanding lessons to my pupils.