1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Grammar help: putting in full stops

Discussion in 'English' started by rozza, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Many of my Primary 6 (Year 5) class struggle with knowing where to put full stops in more extended pieces of writing. They all know a sentence needs a full stop at the end but find it difficult to see where one sentence ends and another begins. Does anyone know of any resources/activities to support this, other than the various 'puncuate these sentence/paragraphs' worksheets?
    Many thanks
    Ros

2. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Reading back what they have written aloud is a miracle worker. Them - not you, though you could read it back to them as they have punctuated it.

3. One of the courses I went on (it was for dyslexia) said you should give them a blob of bluetack. Get them to read it out and put a piece of blutack where they think a full stop should go - they can then read it back and check that they have the full stops in the right place and move them if they aren't happy/put the full stops in if they are happy. I can't remember exactly why they said that this would work but I remember the rational made sense at the time!

4. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Kinaesthetic, innit?

5. Thanks for swift replies! Will try these out. Love the blutac idea!
    Ros