1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Graisse de cheval

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by hemingfordgrey, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Does anyone know of a supplier?

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Not in England.
    Our horses are pets. Not dinner.

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

I'll eat almost anything, but I draw the line at horses and donkeys. Sentimental, yes, but I think these animals have contributed enough to human progress to deserve better.

4. BelleDuJour

Ditto.
    I suspect HG is simply being controversial. His normal haunting ground is Opinion. Say no more.

5. Oi!

In my yoof I did some work with the North African miners In Namur and Charleroi. While there I discovered the best bag of chips ever, served with mayonnaise. I was being nostalgic.

6. BelleDuJour

Fried in horse fat I presume!
    Go for beef dripping. You can buy it in any supermarket, it gives the best result and doesn't offend anyone.

7. Hence the thread title.

I agree that dripping is good, but not quite the best.

8. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Hey hemingfordgrey, when I suggested posting your post onCookery I didn't mean for you to come and upset everyone!

9. It was only a cookery question.

10. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I've eaten horse in France. I don't have a problem eating it but that's possibly because I'm not a horsey person. My wife, who used to ride horses, wouldn't eat it and I can see why people don't - I wouldn't eat dog, whereas it's quite acceptable in some cultures. I suspect dog, like other carnivores, isn't very nice, though.
    The non eating of pets is an interesting debate though. I'll happily eat rabbit but many won't. You hear of people starting up a smallholding with pigs that are intended for the pan but who then can't bear to eat them as they've become attached to them (pigs are often likened to dogs in the intelligence and affection stakes).
    I wouldn't rush out to eat horse again. It was a case of it being on the menu and me never having tried it before. It was okay. Like beef but less tasty. Very lean. Think about it - most horses have barely an ounce of fat on them. Not something I'd mind not having again.

11. henriette

henriette New commenter

I do not much like horse, either. I have had it several times and just find it dull.

12. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I have eaten horse. There are still horse butchers in parts of Germany. It's not my favourite meat!
    I have eaten zebra too - and wasn't impressed! I have eaten both ostrich and alligator and would happily eat them again (subject to ethical sourcing)
    I love rabbit!....and fluffy little baa lambs ....and cute little piglings.....and Bambi's baby brother and sister....It's meat! [​IMG]
    I insist on sourcing my meat - it must be ethically farmed. And I only eat smallish portions - a little really good meat is tastier and healthier than large slabs of inferior meat.
    Mum has eaten hedgehog..and snake....and monkey (!)...she was once offered sheep's eye and hid it in her hankie! (I'd eat the hedgehog I think...and snake - well, I eat eel that's like a snake!...but not the monkey or the eye!)
    I have no desire to eat dog - or cat for that matter,I think the fact that they are carnivores is pertinent....but then ducks are meat-eaters (well fish) and I eat them!

13. We had a pair of free range muscovy ducks among the hens. One day a mouse wandered by. The hens went for the tail but the drake grabbed the mouse and swallowed it whole.

14. Like Bethannie I have eaten most meat, cute cuddly, ickle baby, and even some I reared myself - with names!
    As long as it is ethically grown I'll eat it! I have even been known to point at a live lobster or fish and say 'that one!' with relish.
    Wouldn't go for horse again though, it is a bit lacking when compared to cow!

15. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I've eaten steak haché du cheval, I think it was called, tough but the flavour was a bit strong.

16. BelleDuJour

I ate horse by accident once in Holland.Tasted sweet and sickly. Really didn't like it.
    I have eaten all sorts of exotic meat in Africa and Florida.
    Just found horse a but lacking but as I said, I ate it by accident. If I'd known I'd not have touched it.

17. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I've eaten horse before (I think it was in France but cannot quite remember) and wasn't overly impressed.