1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Graduating without QTS

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by MissJJJ, Mar 19, 2008.

1. What happens if you graduate with a degree in Primary EDucation, but without the QTS? Are you qualified to teach?? What else can you do with a degree in Primary Education?

2. I think the simple answer to your question is no, you are not qualified to teach. You just have a degree. To be qualified to teach you have to have QTS

You might try working in FE ( teaching early years ed or something) but they are likey to ask the question I am thinking - why havent you got QTS , and they will expect you to take their PGCE/ Cert Ed training course ( which also wont have QTS) which will give you some recognition for teaching in the FE sector.

Otherwise you might try getting a job in an independent school. They may not require QTS ( that doesnt mean they dont like to see it), but again I think they will ask , why did you do a primary ed degree and not get QTS.

Failing that, you have a degree, you can apply fopr any type of job that requires a none specific degree.

3. I also have a degree in Education outside the EU and seems very difficult to get a permanent/temp job in a school. I am also on my 4 years registration with the GTC and I really need to get a QTS, however seems very confused.