1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Graduate teacher programme - Business Studies

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Southy9, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Hi all, I am hoping someone will be able to help me with this. I have managed to get on the GTP scheme for Business studies starting in September but I am a little apprehensive about moving into teaching as I have a mortgage and I am leaving a secure job to move across. I have a couple of questions if anyone can help. Do placement schools ever offer a job at the end of the training period? Do head teachers / schools prefer teachers who have come via the GTP or PGCE route or does it not matter? Are Business Studies teaching jobs on the decline as it isnt a core subject? Thanks to anyone who can offer an opinion on these. S

2. Hi all, I am hoping someone will be able to help me with this. I have managed to get on the GTP scheme for Business studies starting in September but I am a little apprehensive about moving into teaching as I have a mortgage and I am leaving a secure job to move across. I have a couple of questions if anyone can help. Do placement schools ever offer a job at the end of the training period? Do head teachers / schools prefer teachers who have come via the GTP or PGCE route or does it not matter? Are Business Studies teaching jobs on the decline as it isnt a core subject? Thanks to anyone who can offer an opinion on these. S

3. It isn't guaranteed, it would depend on them having a vacancy and you being the right person to fill that vacancy. I was offered a position at the end of my training and I know quite a few who were but these were mainly in core subjects where the depts are large and there are generally one or 2 people moving on each year.
    Most don't seem to bother either way.
    Our business studies dept is being cut from 4 teachers to 2 as there is less uptake of the subject and it isn't core. The EBacc has meant young people are prioritising the more traditional subjects in order to keep their options open. Since business studies is only taught at KS4 and post-16 it is very much susceptible to fluctuations in numbers because of trends/media.

4. Hi, First of all, congratulations on gaining a place on a GTP for September.
    It is certainly not uncommon for placement schools to offer permanent teaching positions following the completion of the teacher training course, however it is not guaranteed. During your training you will have a great opportunity to build a relationship with the school you are placed in, but it is certainly worth keeping your options open by looking at other employment opportunities in your area.
    As far as headteachers are concerned, it does not matter whether someone has trained via the GTP or a PGCE course, as long as they have acquired Qualified Teacher Status. Both routes have different advantages, with the GTP offering the opportunity to gain more direct working experience, whilst PGCE courses offer more of a focus on academic learning.
    It is difficult to say what the job prospects for Business Studies will be by the time you complete your training. You could get an idea about the current availability of teaching positions in this area by checking the TES website, as well as your local authority. Job prospects will also depend on the location you are based in, so being flexible with where you will work will be beneficial.
    Good luck with your GTP, and I hope you enjoy a successful career in teaching.
    Stephen Hillier, TDA