1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Graduate Teacher Programme. Advice needed.

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by benzoid, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Hi,

I'm considering enrolling on a Graduate Teacher programme in secondary Art & Design in London. Has anybody had experience in this? Can you offer any advice re. providers, salary and funding?

Thanks,

Ben

2. Hi,

I'm considering enrolling on a Graduate Teacher programme in secondary Art & Design in London. Has anybody had experience in this? Can you offer any advice re. providers, salary and funding?

Thanks,

Ben

3. jmntsp

jmntsp New commenter

Can't offer much advice - but would say that if you were ever considering working abroad as a teacher then the GTP is not recognised in Australia, Canada, NZ or even in Scotland. I have a niece who did one and after 10 years full time teaching moved to Scotland (because of husband's job). She is VERY disgruntled, to put it mildly, at being told by the Scottish GTC that she is 'unqualified' and won't be able to apply for teaching jobs.

4. No idea about London providers
    Your salary would most likely be at scale point 1 on the unqualified teacher scale (I guess there will be a London weighting on that).
    A word of caution though, it isn't simply a case of 'enrolling', the GTP is very difficult to get onto and tends to require considerable school experience. Art and design is not a shortage subject so it is not priority funded (like maths and science) so it is lumped together with other non-shortage subjects like PE, business studies etc in a funding category.

5. Hi Ben
    You can apply for Art & Design GTPs in London via the TDA website, using the following link:
    www.tda.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/teacher-training-options/gtp/Search
    Each Local Authority is allocated a certain amount of funding by the TDA, and this is divided up between the various GTP course providers in that area. The employment-based initial teacher training (EBITT) providers will then decide which applicants to their programme they are able to offer funding to.
    If you are offered a funded place, your course fees would be paid for, and you would receive a minimum salary of £15,817 (per annum). This could potentially be higher as you intend to study in London.
    Sometimes the EBITT providers will be able to assist you in finding a school to employ you, but often you would be expected to find a school yourself. You can find full contact information for schools in and around your area on the following website:
    www.schoolswebdirectory.co.uk
    For more general information about the GTP, please visit the following page of the TDA website:
    www.tda.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/teacher-training-options/gtp
    I hope that you are successful in your application for an Art & Design GTP place, and I wish you the very best in your teaching career.
    Stephen Hillier, TDA

6. glenn_xp

glenn_xp New commenter

Presumably though there is some sort of course you can take like the English Overseas trained teacher course for somone who is already a teacher but doesnt have a recognised qualification in Scotland. Is there not?

7. jmntsp

jmntsp New commenter

Apparently not, glenn. She has been told that her only option in Scotland is to apply for a PGCE, and places are heavily oversubscribed. She would then be counted as an NQT and have to try and get a job at the beginning of pay scale again. She is fuming.