1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Graduate son returns home- do I charge rent?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gergil4, Dec 5, 2011.

  1. gergil4

    gergil4 New commenter

    How about giving him a break for the first month/2/3 whilst he sorts himself out, saves and job hunts? After that you could start on a small charge and build up the longer he stays. All in addition to sharing chores etc.
  2. My mum charges my brother and I keep (I only pay mine when I move back home for the holidays) as we are both earning but doesn't charge my sister anything at the moment as she is doing her PGCE and isn't earning a regular wage. My brother is moving into his own place just after Christmas so it will just be me paying it then.
  3. lurk_much

    lurk_much Occasional commenter

    A mate has a system where the kids stick a tenner a week in a jar and they have the use of the money for bog roll etc.
    It is full of IOUs
  4. Crowbob

    Crowbob Lead commenter

    I do hope they are written on CLEAN paper...
  5. lurk_much

    lurk_much Occasional commenter

  6. What I used to do when I moved back to go back to uni to do my PGCE (so I had a bit of income since it was when they were paying the training grant to do them) was rather than pay board as such, my mother found getting the time to go to the supermarket a real issue, and one was on the route back from uni - so I'd duck in there weekly and do the top-up shop of the things we burnt through at a rate of knots (like cereal in our house, bread, milk - that sort of stuff)... while I probably paid slightly less than she would have demanded in board and lodgings - it freed up time for her in that she wasn't constantly at the supermarket on her way home from work, and it was our way of working it out and making things work.
  7. ilovesooty

    ilovesooty Star commenter

    I think Andy's suggestion re volunteering to prevent a gap on his CV is a good one. However I think it's fair for him to pay something towards his keep and pull his weight in the house. I don't buy this "You're only young once" business. If he's living in a household he should be responsible in part for its running. After all, you aren't getting child benefit for him any more and he can't live on fresh air.
  8. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    As he is not related to you, he can claim Housing benefit as your lodger. You could charge him the going rate of about £60 per week and he would get more or less that amount in Housing Benefit on top of his JSA.
    You would not pay tax on the rental income as you can take up to £4250 per year under the governments Rent A Room scheme tax-free and not even have to declare it to the tax man.
    It would probably be better for him to apply for HB simply as a lodger, rather than as your daughter's boyfriend. Is there a separate bedroom that can be nominated as his in case anyone from benefits Agency does a home visit?
    Claimants living at home cannot claim Housing benefit; it's even barred if they live with a sibling. I remember reading about friends who swapped unemployed sons a few years ago so that each son could claim Housing benefit and pay for board.
  9. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    My last post was for magic surf bus!
  10. If he's on JSA he may be entitiled to Housing Benefit, you may have to say you're charging him 'rent' though.
  11. I think you should charge, even if it is just £1 and he earns it back.
    On the work front, he should contact the 'access to work' advisor at the job centre. If he needs any equipent to allow him to work they will pay for it.
    They will also assess himn and tell him whatequipmeent he can have, so assuming he gets an interview he can say "Ihave RSI so I need X, Y and Z to do my job, but this will be paid for by the government"

  12. No, but it is given as money to live on.
    There is a lesson to be learned from unemployment. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, it's not a good situation BUT in terms of managing money, it's imperative that you get your priorities right.
    I charged son rent from his JSA when he came home after University. He was used to paying household bills anyway and had even learnt that water piped to the house has to be paid for.
    Now is the time for him to appreciate that having a roof over his head is more important than being able to socialise with his mates or buy himself new stuff. It's a blow but it also teaches a lesson about the harsh realities of life. I think lots of young adults are let of the hook by over-indulgent parenting. Household expenses are rising too.
    He must face up to his responsibilities. I hope things look up soon and there is work for him in the new year, but in the meantime I feel you must expect him to contribute to the costs of keeping a house and having a warm and pleasant environment in which to live. That is right, fair and proper imo.
  13. magic surf bus

    magic surf bus Star commenter

    jubilee & giggirl: Thanks for the HB tip. As he works in retail and is actively seeking a second job in the run up to Christmas he may well get enough hours to drop out of JSA, but the information is still worth knowing if things back off in the New Year.
  14. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    You can't get Housing benefit if you living in the home of your parent/s or siblings. The thinking is that you wouldn't be renting out the room to a lodger if your son/daughter/sister/brother were not living in it .
    My sister lost her job and moved in with another sister (there are 6 of us!) and couldn't claim Housing benefit. If she'd taken a bedsit, studio apartment, a one bedroom flat or had been a lodger in an un-realted person's house whilst claiming JSA, she would have been able to claim rent and Council tax relief (as long as her savings were below a certain level)
  15. £20 a week is reasonable...
    However, my parents have never charged me rent when I lived with them for a while after University, so there is no way I'd be charging my children.

Share This Page