1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Graduate looking for TA work

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by amberlily1144, Feb 13, 2020.

1. amberlily1144

amberlily1144 New commenter

I will be graduating from uni in July 2020 having studied Education Studies and Early Years. I aim to get a job as a teaching assistant in a primary classroom in September. (My future aim is to train to teach - salaried - after gaining a few more years school experience).
    I have a few queries, firstly should i invest in a level 2/3 TA specific course? I will obviously have my education degree which i believe to be sufficient along with quite a bit of placement experience. But i wonder if having a TA specific qualification would be beneficial in helping me find a job quickly with hopefully a decent salary.
    Also when do schools tend to look for TA's for a September start because I'd like to get ahead of the game and start looking!

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I don't think you need to worry about getting a TA qualification, I think most schools will be more than happy with your degree. We have had several new graduates apply for TA roles recently, wanting to gain experience in school before applying for Schools Direct or Teach First training. It's becoming more common. We have employed more than one and have supported two to train with us, after a year or so experience. TA roles for September are usually advertised from around Easter - keep your eyes open on local authority websites and TES. Best of luck.