1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Grade structure at secondary school help?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by boogie19, Nov 13, 2015.

1. boogie19

boogie19 New commenter

Hello,

Just after a little bit f help with new grade structures at secondary please. I am a primary school teacher not sure what the grades are.

The school uses a grade scale 1-9, has an intake y7-11. Does anyone know if these related to old NC levels or are specific to secondary school now? Also, does anyone have any idea of what level a y7 child should be achieving by the end of the year on average?

Many thanks

2. never_expect_anything

never_expect_anything Occasional commenter

It'll probably be specific to the school, so best to ask the school directly - though it's odd that they haven't told you (e.g. in a letter, if it's relating to a report).
    It won't be old NC levels. The new GCSEs are graded 1-9 (for accreditation from 2017), and a lot of schools are now reporting GCSE target grades down as far as Y7 (since there's no longer any NC levels / Y9 SATs / end of KS3 targets to work towards), so I'd guess it's in relation to that...

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Yes, the school is the place to go for advice. Schools can now do their own thing on levels, so nobody outside the school can be sure. It could be the old style NC levels, or leading up to GCSE grades or something different. Of course, it should be made clear to parents how their offspring are being graded.

4. boogie19

boogie19 New commenter

Thank you, I thought it was really bad they hadn't released anything along side the report. I know other schools have it up on their website but not this school. My niece just came home upset last night thinking she had gone down to a level 2 ! Poor thing, she may well have done but it would be nice to know what the deal was before telling the children. I'll call on Monday. Cheers

5. never_expect_anything

never_expect_anything Occasional commenter