1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Grade prediction from a private tutor

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by alexy132, May 12, 2020.

1. alexy132

alexy132 New commenter

Hi there,

Does anyone know how it works with students who need grade predictions for university admissions to start this October. If a student was studying by himself and wants to get a tutor now, would a tutor be able to predict the grades?

2. suzette

suzette Occasional commenter

I'm not sure about this one, but if I were you I would be guided by the major exam boards that would set the exam.

So for example pre-covid, I was tutoring a lot of GCSE students, so I was guided by AQA (& their school). When I did my degree, it was with the Open University, who have their own exams that was set by (I think!! It was a long time ago) Pearson (now called Pearson Edexcel). I'm sure someone on here will be able to shed some light a bit more. :)

alexy132 likes this.
  3. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

The official guidance we received was very clear - schools cannot use work which they cannot 'authenticate' as being the student's own and neither parents nor tutors who are not known to the school can 'authenticate' a student's work for the grade.

Joseph.John, alexy132 and Kateray1 like this.
  4. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I don't think anyone considered private candidates. I can't see how it would be possible for them to get a predicted grade.

5. ladyofrohan

ladyofrohan New commenter

It's an absolute disgrace and affects so many home educated young people. The government said that nobody would be disadvantaged, which is clearly not the case. Some sixth form colleges are insisting that without the grades they will not accept them onto A level courses.