1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Grade descriptors for new GCSE needed

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by cathy26_2001, Sep 8, 2011.

1. cathy26_2001

cathy26_2001 New commenter

Hi all

I cant seem to find any descriptions for D and E grades for the new GCSE.
    Has anybody got any / know of where to find them?
    I have looked at aqa website already

thanks a lot

cathy

2. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Occasional commenter

Most people have a pretty good idea of the meanings of D and E in terms of language ability at GCSE :
    It's just that they're not printable.
    I'm sure some suggestions will be forthcoming.

3. cathy26_2001

cathy26_2001 New commenter

I want the students to have a copy of what each grade means to have in their book.
    I seem to only find A, B,C and F

4. mpc

mpc

I put something on TES (admittedly it was for the old GCSE) resources - I wouldn't imagine it would have changed that much....?

5. I must say that when I saw the heading for this post, I thought...
    ' candidates can translate an unseen text effectively beacuse they have bothered to learn lots of vocabulary, can use a dictionary and are able to manipulate the language because of a thorough understanding of grammar. They have also worked hard and not expected to be spoonfed' !!!!
    This would, of course, be a Grade C.

6. How about Grade A* (for German with AQA):
    Candidates possess an understanding and grasp of the language far beyond that of a typical native speaker. They are not floored by Listening which is 25% more difficult than the Listening on last year's paper. In their speaking exam, they are fortunate enough to have been in the sample which was sent off for moderation and where the teacher's marking was accepted without question. In writing they manage to achieve a fine balance between perfect German and German which the marker actually understands.
    Time to change boards....