1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Grade Boundaries

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by maths_mikey, Aug 14, 2019.

1. maths_mikey

maths_mikey New commenter

See news about leaked boundaries. My thoughts are that leaking boundaries is unprofessional and potentially causing undue stress to students. The media should take a lead on not publishing such leaked material. On the boundary itself 55% for an A grade is an embarrassment. I don't blame the exam boards though. The politicians who decided we needed harder linear exams and the constant need to meddle with education for political gain are the problems. It was simply impossible for these new exams and related resources to be properly implemented in the timescale that was allowed. The new GCSE were a mess and now, unsurprisingly, so are the A levels. Much though I don't want further change these exams are unfit for purpose. These ridiculous grade boundaries prove it and things need to been done otherwise students are simply going to make other choices.

slstrong123 and baller4life like this.
  2. gainly

gainly Senior commenter

I don't think the exam boards are completely blameless. For Edexcel Papers 1 and 2 bore little resemblance to the specimen papers or to questions in the textbook which they publish. Much as I hate and despise Gove he can't be held responsible for that.

Paper 3 of course was leaked, who knows how many people saw the leaked paper, so the whole thing seems to be a bit of a lottery.

rehaank, afterdark and Lucy2711 like this.
  3. maths_mikey

maths_mikey New commenter

I agree the exam boards do need to take more care in the production of papers. To make them so radically different to anything the students had seen before was unhelpful. The leak of the paper was probably due to a malicious act for financial gain. Not much any exam board can do to prevent this and everything to mitigate the consequence is probably being done. I also don't hold with the idea that the students are not disadvantaged and they all get the grade they deserve regardless of how difficult the exam is. 1. The damage to self esteem when the student leaves the exam knowing they got a lot of it wrong has already been done. 2. No one is going to want to opt to study a subject where the assessments are so hard regardless of the grades. 3. The number of Mark's available to differentiate between each grade is dramatically reduced so a silly mistake could easily drop you one or 2 grades.

afterdark and Lucy2711 like this.
  4. DaveyT

DaveyT New commenter

The boundaries indicate that the (edexcel) papers were poor assessments. 14% for an E, equally spaced subsequent boundaries until the A at 55% then a leap to 72% for an A*. To award the same grade for 55 and 70 % on those papers seems unfair to me. It will be interesting to see the national picture but for me a bad day back in school.

Lucy2711 likes this.
  5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I thought they had been published, in which case there is no reason why newspapers cannot comment.

6. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

I think they were leaked the day before they were officially published so the daily mail could have their day!

Piranha likes this.
  7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Yes, I see that now. Not that a day makes a lot of difference!

strawbs likes this.