1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Grade boundaries - new gcse spec

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by lizmclean, Oct 12, 2017.

1. lizmclean

lizmclean New commenter

Can anyone tell me what grade boundaries they are using for their mocks in November for all four skills, higher and foundation in French and Spanish. We use AQA and we are going to do the mock specimen papers but how can we judge what grade their outcomes equate to?

2. veverett

veverett Occasional commenter

We all need to post how many pupils get what marks on the spec paper. Then we can see what boundaries to set for top 5%, 10% etc.

3. parkert

parkert New commenter

I think they will be low. Higher maths was 17% for a 4 this summer. When the new GCSE came out in 2009, the pass mark for a C for the speaking was 20%. I think it will get higher as we get further into this after the next few years

4. cake4tea

cake4tea New commenter

It's all down to guestimates. I'm not expecting massively high percentages for the majority of my kids. Vocab is the major issue for me. Seem to be looking at a maximum of 65 - 70% for my best kids on higher. BTW though doing AQA have downloaded all Edexcel specimens for extra practice. Not exactly the same but better than nothing.

5. cocostrong

cocostrong New commenter

Hi guys,

I am using this table and mark scheme for their Speaking Unit. And a very similar thing for Writing. I hope you find it useful. Please let me know if it was of help.
    Speaking Grade Boundaries

Higher

Grade % Mark/60

9 90 54

8 80 48

7 75 45

6 65 39

5 55 33

4 50 30

3 40 24

Foundation

Grade % Mark/60

5 75 45

4 65 39

3 55 33

2 45 27

1 30 18

Award a,b,c depending on how secure the grade i.e. for Foundation 39-40 = 4c, 40-41-42 = 4b and 43-44 = 4a
    I have based this on a variety of things but it is still very much a guess.

Any questions please ask.

6. lala_jane

lala_jane New commenter

Hi Cocostrong,

Thanks for sharing the grade boundaries.

Are your percentages similar for listening and reading?

7. cmj0132

cmj0132 New commenter

Hi Everyone,

I'd also be interested. I have just finished marking the AQA Reading paper (then rest later to come this week) and would be really interested...

Thanks

8. cake4tea

cake4tea New commenter

Given the experience in maths last year they might be lower.

9. LTarantini-Amor

LTarantini-Amor New commenter

Hey all,
    We are doing percentages for grades. 50% for 4, 60% for 5. And so on... but we don’t have a converter for raw marks and weightings. We are using edexcel. Any ideas?

10. LTarantini-Amor

11. LTarantini-Amor

I thought we weren’t including a 9 as only a statistical entity awarded based on national results? So our ‘grade 5’ is 50% not 55%. Can you talk us through your numbers? And thanks for posting them by the way?