1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Grade Boundaries for Maths GCSE 2017 Spec

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by asymes86, Jul 4, 2016.

1. asymes86

asymes86 New commenter

Hi all,
    We have just had our Year 10 mock exam week and our students have sat all three papers for the first time. Obviously there are no past papers to compare to so we are having a tough time grading the papers according to the new 1-9 system.
    We think we are playing on the conservative side of things. For the higher paper we have:
    9 - 92% (221/240)
    8 - 82.5% (198)
    7 - 72% (171)
    6 - 56% (134)
    5 - 45% (108)
    4 - 28% (67)
    3 - 18% (43)
    For the foundation paper we have:
    5 - 80% (192/240)
    4 - 70% (168)
    3 - 60% (144)
    2 - 50% (120)
    1 - 40% (96)
    We sat one of the Pearson Edexcel Specimen Papers.
    How does this align with what you are doing in your schools? I know this is a guessing game based on the new guidelines but just wanted to get some other views before we feedback!

2. MissMaths83

MissMaths83 New commenter

If it's 40% for a 1 then I'm in trouble! Lols! I'm part of the pixl schools so we have also sat 3 pixl papers and then the marks for each question will be sent away and put with 100s of other schools so that we can have a bit more of an idea of boundaries. However, my 10 set 3 who usually get a C or decent d on normal foundation papers have come out with an average of about 22/80 on the first paper (aqa style). Highest being 37 by two lads who normally get really strong Cs on OCR foundation. Lower sets getting marks in single figures. Euurgh!

3. smillsj

smillsj New commenter

Completely agree with you regarding a 10 set 3 except we always used to enter them for Higher tier but with similar results to you. I wonder what Edexcel think of the Pixl papers. Our top set yr 10s whose final grade would normally be a handful of A*s plus As and Bs , all got under 50%.

4. asymes86

asymes86 New commenter

Using our boundaries, the results at 7 and above seem to fall in line with previous years for A and above at the same stage. But at the C/D boundary, we seem to be out of line and have far fewer than we normally have. The foundation results seem pretty reasonable based on our boundaries, but again, it is the 3/4/5 boundary that is really throwing us off...

5. cheryljtweedy

cheryljtweedy New commenter

6. cheryljtweedy

We have just finished a mock with our year 10's using the Pearson Edexcel papers (two) and I created the grade boundaries. I used the June 2015 series for my anchor points.The .5% may appear messy but when multiplied by .8 to get marks out of 80 for each paper it works well. We didn't have a Level 3 for higher.

HIGHER PAPER level, % and marks out of 80
    9 - 92.5% (74)
    8 - 77.5% (62)
    7 - 62,5% (50)
    6 - 52.5% (42)
    5 - 42.5%.(34)
    4 - 32.5% (26)

FOUNDATION level % and marks out of 80
    5 - 83% (66)
    4 - 70% (56)
    3 - 57% (46)
    2 - 44% (35)
    1 - 31% (25)

This set complies with OFQUAL's criteria for a 9, 7, 5, 4 and 1 and has a nice flow to it. I will be happy to explain my detailed analysis if anyone is interested!!

Cheryl Tweedy Maths Tutor (Shoreham Academy)

7. pi r squared

pi r squared New commenter

Interesting thread, and really useful to see other school's attempts at boundary setting.

We partnered with a few schools in the Northants area to gather a big data grab of results and attempted to set boundaries based on this. We ended up with about 1,500 sets of data, which whilst not up to the number that PiXL will end up with, was still a healthy sample size. The relatively low scores across eight schools were quite alarming and shows that the papers are definitely harder! We ended up, hopefully cautiously, setting our boundaries at:

Foundation
    1 40 (88.70% of candidates achieving this or better)
    2 82 (44.06%)
    3 99 (25.80%)
    4 117 (13.04%)
    5 146 (1.74%)

Higher
    3 39 (81.80% of candidates achieving this or better)
    4 43 (75.93%)
    5 79 (37.96%)
    6 115 (13.29%)
    7 145 (4.67%)
    8 174 (1.44%)

All submitted results were anonymised so we can share our results and analysis - they can be viewed here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XdKww_aZ8hVQPbV1RNAnn1HY2-hZpai7ZJTFPiyiTCc/pubhtml#

Be grateful to hear any feedback anyone has.

Thanks.

jamesg likes this.
  8. cach9801

cach9801 New commenter

Don't trust the PiXL grade boundaries-- for AQA it's 34% for a grade 4 (equivalent to a C) in foundation and 4.5% for a grade 4 on higher.

9. pi r squared

I was worried that ours might be a little on the generous side at 43/240 (18%) for a Grade 4, but 4.5%?! 11 marks?? That seems... unlikely.

Can anyone with access to both the AQA Practice Papers (we used Practice Set 2) and the PiXL Curve papers offer any comment on the comparisons in difficulty between the two? The grade boundaries would suggest that either the Curve paper was much, much harder than the AQA Practice papers (which I'd love to see!), that we in Northants were way too stingy, or that PiXL have been way too generous.

10. pi r squared

Just looked at the PiXL boundaries again. They're suggesting that you can answer just 2/5 of the Higher paper and get a Grade 8, or better yet answer just over half of the paper and you could walk away with the shiny new exclusive Grade 9?! I am struggling with this, I'll be honest!

cach9801 likes this.
  11. cheryljtweedy

12. catbanj

catbanj Occasional commenter

The pixl boundaries have been set using the proportions due to get each grade. That process is fundamentally flawed as the pixl cohort is not typical of the cohort across the country - the top end is missing hence the low marks needed to get top grades. The data at the other end is rubbish as well... probably because kids voted with their feet and didn't come in for all three papers (I know our bottom sets didn't). All in all not any use at all other than to give the kids a percentage of the exam they could do

258gefranc likes this.
  13. cheryljtweedy

PiXL have made a grave but obvious mistake in their analysis. At the end of Year 10 around 40-50% of our students will be sitting on a 4 (the old Grade C) in maths. Pixl have taken the results anticipated in one years time which is around 70% and apportioned the grades now. This is why the boundaries are so low. If things look rediculous they usually are!

14. nicholasgavinpowell

nicholasgavinpowell New commenter

Hi All,
    I was browsing this thread as we are giving our C11's their mock papers in December and we are probably using the Edexcel Mock Papers supplied by Pearson. Is it worth sharing results and thoughts around grade boundaries?
    Also, can I ask Cheryl and Pi r squared which set of papers you created your grade boundaries for?

15. cheryljtweedy

Hi,
    My Grade Boundaries were created for two Edexcel Mock Papers supplied by Pearson. I believe however they were too harsh. I matched them up to the June 2016 Grade Boundaries but the papers were harder. We have just done a mock using one of the PIXL Curve Calculator papers. I suggested Grade Boundaries generated from the Northants.Trial which I believe are the best so far. Around 50% attained Level 4 or above which is exactly where we would expect to be at this time. Whichever you choose this simple reasonability test should ensure your Grade Boundaries are sensible. Cheryl

16. pi r squared

Hi,

Ours were for AQA's Practice Set 2. I haven't looked at the Edexcel papers in any great depth (although I think we have a copy in school), but I can't imagine the difficulty being miles away from that of the AQA set.

17. Palmer3175

Palmer3175 New commenter

I'm surprised so many people are staying loyal to Edexcel. Does nobody else think the AQA papers are more accessible? I thought the edexcel mocks looked just awful.

smileyanna1 likes this.
  18. DeborahCarol

DeborahCarol New commenter

I've seen the word 'accessible' used a lot in this thread (and others on TES). Do you mean 'easier'?

19. janlomas

janlomas New commenter

Am I right that Edexcel have issued more sample papers - besides sets 1 and 2? Have you seen them? Are they any different?

20. johnsmithilp

johnsmithilp New commenter

Are there any bearings questions in the Edexcel supplied mocks or pixl mocks?