1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Grade Boundaries and sales like targets

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by Henry8th, May 16, 2011.

1. Hi all, I posted a while back about leaving teaching as I found it all too much like sales with targets in mind not students. Well after Christmas I had the guts to hand in my resignation (With no job to go to as of yet) and on Thursday handed over all AS level and GCSE paperwork for the Edexcel Spec.
    Just a quick question, though I know this has been hashed about a bit in the forums. Does anyone know the exact number of marks needed to get a C in both the Edexcel GCSE course and the edexcel AS course? My line manager wants an accurate picture of what to expect in the summer and this is the first year the school are using edexcel for Drama.
    Any help would be appreciated and any advice on where to next. I haven't given up on teaching just my role as a HOD. I want to get back to the classroom and spend less time on administration. Porblem is I have applied for lots of teacher jobs and not got any interviews as I am too expensive (cheaper to get and NQT) and they don't understand why I would want to go backwards down the ladder.
    Cheers in advance :)

2. In the Edexcel GCSE folder there's a rough grade boundaries section on page 45 (I think) which should be an indication, however it's very hard to tell as I think there's likely to be a lot of movement this year with coursework marks and, of course, these boundaries are likely to change. Also, it'll be hard to predict your Unit 3 marks. It's a useful guide though and I've been using it in a very cautious way for the same purpose.

For AS/A2, look at the exam reports for last year as they have them. Again, they'll change this year but they'll give you a rough idea of where the boundaries are. Last year's went up by a mark on the year before's.

Hope that helps!